UK BMW warranties.....

Hi I have had BMW's for 7 years.

2 740 Sports, and now a 745Li

All my cars have been kept under BMW extended warranty, after the initial warranty expired.

Several months ago, I contacted the supplying dealer of my 745Li, and asked about extended warranties. They told me that I could purchase 3 years warranty for £1553, and I had until my 'standard' warranty expired to get it. My 'standard' / manufacturers warranty is due to expire in 4 months, and I contacted the dealer to take them up on their deal.

They now tell me that all BMW (in fact all manufacturers) warranties have been overhauled, and brought under the control of the FSA. As a result, 12 months warranty is quoted at £1536.... which is almost the price of 3 years previously!!!

This seems ridiculous to me!

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Are there any alternatives to a BMW UK warranty?

Cheers

Paul '98 740i Sport '00 740i Sport '02 745Li

Reply to
Paul Aspinall

I'm surprised at such a low figure. When the maker's warranty was about to run out on my E39 528, IIRC I was quoted the thick end of 1000 quid for one year, so I declined.

These things aren't charities. They are simply insurance - and as well as covering costs have to make a profit after administration, etc.

I'd say most independant ones are even poorer value. They pay out commission to the seller, and must make profits for the company. I've seen it in print that some only pay out 10% of their premiums in claims overall, so you'd have to be *very* unlucky with your car to come out ahead.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just saw an article in a recent UK newspaper about this change. They didn't mention this cost increase, though. Amazing...

It affects the extended warranties only, IIRC.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW extended warranties. You'll find similar increases across the board will the whole range. Especially galling for the M3 following a major engine "quality enhancement" which could only be effected by replacing some peoples engines!

Reply to
TonyK

I bought an E39 Touring under the Approved Used Car scheme in 2001 and have been since the AUC warranty expired in 2002 have been renewing. The price has risen steadily from around £500 to over £600 at the last renewal in December '04. Does this mean I am going to get a nasty shock come December '05?

As for alternatives- there are any number of independent insurance-backed warranties on the market but I've always chosed to stick with BMW as it is pretty comprehensive warranty and for the sheer convenience.

Reply to
Narin Ganesh

But have you found the extended warranty worth the money - ie what has gone wrong in the years since you've had it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, a surprising amount. First off the windscreen washer jets failed. Then there was the saga of vibration at speed which was eventually traced to problems in the front suspension (all done under warranty). Also had a problem with squeaks and rattles from the tailgate plus the well-known abysmal AM radio reception (traced to the window aerial). Then the replacement of the near-side headlamp after moisture got in. Oh, and a prblem also occurred with the self-levelling rear suspension.

It sounds like the car is a lemon. Its not but I think BMW quality isn't quite what I believed it to be. I'd class these faults as niggles, annoying but not enough to make me contemplate getting rid of the car (yet).

To be fair the bulk of the problems occured in the first year I had the car but overall the "net" cost to me has been not too great. I wouldn't run a big, complex car like this without some kind of warranty and the BMW one is pretty comprehensive. I've also found dealers quite happy to not quibble over whether a repair can be classed as warranty work or not.

Reply to
Narin Ganesh