BMW reset tool

I have an 84 733i, and I've been working on fixing several of the problems in the car. One of the last ones that immediately concern me is the temperature gauge, which doesn't budge. The sender is good, the indicator is good (passed some current through it,) and I can "see" the sender from the connector going to the instrument panel, so there is a loss of the signal inside the panel. The wiring diagram shows a component in between the connector and the indicator, (forgot exactly what it was called, and the book is out in the car right now) so I would like to check that out. I assume that it's the chip where the signal is disappearing, and was wondering if by chance a reset might correct the situation. Which leads me to ask: what exactly is the reset tool mentioned in the books, and how is it used?

Reply to
Carl McIver

I doubt seriously a reset would sove your temp problem.

The reset tool does nothing more than reset the dash countdown-lights for "service 1" and "service 2" and oil changes and the CheckEngine light.

Some of the reset tools also read the code for the CheckEngine light.

It can, if equiped, also reset SRS lights.

Josh Assing

i'm not familiar with this model and without seeing the diagram it's hard to say, but based on your information seems like the the gauge should work... except if the mystery component between the sensor and the indicator happens to be a faulty voltage regulator of some sort that keeps the gauge from receiving the signal. i've seen this happen with fuel gauges.

Reply to
hector