Body style termonology?

Touring, Cabriolet, Convertible, Saloon, Coupe, Sedan, Station Wagon, Roadster. Did I miss any?

Could someone cross-reference the European terms with the U.S. terms? The only one I think I know is Cabriolet = Convertible. I think Touring may be Station Wagon but that's just a guess.

Thanks, G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Touring Station Wagon Estate car

Cabriolet convertible soft-top

sedan saloon

coupé 2 door hardtop sports

roadster sports car old style hot rod (32 Ford)

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Reply to
hsg

Touring and Station Wagon is a good guess. Salon (not saloon, saloon is a bar) is the 4-door, which is the Sedan in the states. Cabriolet is a convertible, coupe is a 2-door, sedan and salon is a 4-door, and touring is a station wagon.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In the US, the Touring (wagon) has now become a "Sports Wagon"

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Not quite, Jeff. A sedan with a boot and bonnet is a "saloon". With a hood and trunk, it is a sedan. But a salon is something else entirely!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

That reminds me of a joke that only works if spoken and even then only with Merkin pronunciation.

Why does a chicken coop only have two doors?

Because it if had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

Reply to
Dean Dark

This is getting a little more complicated than I thought it would.

Is there an automotive difference between "Saloon" and "Salon" or is there a regional usage of both terms that mean the same thing?

Thanks, G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Saloon = Sedan (type of car) or Bar

Salon = Gathering (not a car)
Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

NO

A SEDAN is either a portable chair that one is carried on and thus is transposed to the US version of a mode of transport "SEDAN" or in the UK terminology "SALOON".

A SALON on the other hand is most commonly referred to as in "Hair Salon" meaning a hairdresser's shop or establishment or as someone else mentioned "a gathering" where women flock together to moan and chatter about nothing whilst having their hair cut, dyed, styled etc.

A man, on the other hand, simply has a "hair cut" and moans about some sport or other instead of talking some sense - but then it's the only time we get isn't - it? like sitting on the lavatory reading the paper or the latest magazine........

Hugh

Reply to
hsg

correct

Perhaps they should be called "talking shops"?

My hairdresser (or should I say barber) was a one time Manchester City FC season ticket holder. The last couple of seasons have largely been spent with my winding him up about how precious few MCFC goals he will have seen for his money and that if he did want to see goals and silverware without travelling to London then he really ought to support another Manchester club. This season however the boot has been on the other foot...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Neither is a UK term. 'Touring' was sort of invented by BMW. A tourer is a convertible non sports car with usually more than two seats - rather like a 3 Series.

A station wagon in the UK is called an estate car. Which the lord of the estate might well send to meet a train. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For additional confusion, you could throw 'shooting brake' into the mix. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a US equivalent for that.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Shooting brake? Is that for the gang bangers engaged in drive-by shootings?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not much used these days.

Quite a good description of what they are here - to save my fingers. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)