Buy a legend for only 18k! Aren't you embarassed?

I've enjoyed this car for many years. What should I get next?

'98 Black C5 Corvette Convertible. Red interior. Auto. All Options. 12 CDPlayer. Z51 Suspension. K&N Filter and Performance Exhaust. Great Condition.114,000 miles. One owner. Private seller. More info at

sale-260465026

If you're moving *up* from a common Chevy, maybe a nice Buick would do ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; wouldn't own one)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

It is NOT a common Chevy. I drive an M3 and 540iT, but respect a C5 Corvette. Best value in a supercar. C6 is even better.

Your showing your inner snob

Reply to
Tom Scales

aren't I embarrassed??? in a chevy I would be!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

IMHFO, he's correct.

The C5 is pretty damned respectable in most respects and the C6 is even better. The C5 and C6 have huge power even in standard form, and very decent handling. I can guarantee that you've never driven either of them if you make comments like that.

Take your blinkers off.

Reply to
Dean Dark

They have a horse-and-cart leaf-spring suspension, for gawd's sake. It feels like there's no suspension at all on rough roads. Even a low-end BMW or Mini gives a better ride.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Actually, it's IRS with a transverse leaf spring.

There is none so blind as they that won't see. - Jonathan Swift.

Reply to
Dean Dark

More seriously one has to wonder about the handling - whislt it is twenty years since I drove an American performance car (Pontiac Grand Am), it was one of the worst drives I have ever had - you had to open the window and listen for tyre squeal as you turned in because there was no road feel at all! Even a [contemporary] Ford Transit van was better.

Sounds contradictory - is each wheel separately sprung or do they share the transverse leaf (i.e. cart) spring?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hahaha!!! Pontiac Grand Am performance car! Good one!

Since day one, I think, the Corvette has had a 4 link IRS with transverse leaf spring(s). These days it's done with two fiberglass composite leaf springs. Physically, the setup behaves exactly the same as coil springs would, and it even has some advantages like less weight, lower CoG, and more importantly, less *unsprung* weight.

You can pull up plenty of information on it if you want to.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Where do you get the idea that the GM Pontiac Grand-Am was a "performance car"?

Now if you said 426 Hemi Challenger, 440 Barracuda, 427 Boss Mustang (even the

351 cleveland engined car went around corners - not too good I admit)

The Charger was also a "Performance" car but with the big engines 383, 440, 426 hemi performance was ONLY in a straight line.

Lexus - Designed in the US Built in the US Should be kept in the US, Japan, Australia, Asia. Why! Australia has silly speed limits so nobody would notice the crap ride and handling as does Japan, Asia - driving is a novelty as is expensive looking cars so they wouldn't know the difference.

US - again everybody drives so SLOW and nobody really knows where they are going.

US BMW cars are very different to the EURO versions - Slower, Softer and heavier!

BMW are building cars in China now -

I thnik it is strange that Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia etc. residents or rather those that are economic refugees to the UK all seem to have Polish, Lituanian etc,. registered cars and they aer nearly all BMW or Mercedes (10 a penny crap really but look nice and expensive)

My opinion and probably many others too.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

I *cannot believe* there are so many satire-impaired contributors here! I mean, I take a standard Smartass=A9 shot at a spammer trying to sell his car by posting to every Usenet group he can find and you all *come to his defense*? And one of you even quotes Swift in the process! Talk about irony!

At any rate ...

Dean Dark wrote:

I guess if you're picking a 'Day One' at random, you might be right. But I know that Corvettes all had *solid axles* until 1963. Want to guess what held them up?

No need to bother with my sense of history - and your lack of it.

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

The thread had moved on quite a bit until you stuck your poncy high and mighty nose back into it.

So, they've had IRS for the past 40 some odd years? Excuuuuse me. Many "performance" cars had solid axles much more recently than that.

I'm sorry to have offended you. I didn't realise that you were so clucking fever and special.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Well it should have been - 3litre fuel injected engine in a small two door coupe - it should have been quick, but with a rubbish three speed auto box and whatever it was painfully slow.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

But the Grand Am was never marketed as a performance car. At least not to anyone who had a clue. It was a mid 80s front wheel drive GM barge, loaded down with old technology smog controls. Trust me, no-one misses the damned things.

Reply to
Dean Dark

It was a rental fleet vehicle. And a total sled...

Reply to
daytripper

I think you're full of shit. Prove the above allegations.

Reply to
dizzy

$18k. What a deal! 8)

Reply to
dizzy

I know. That's why I've decided to lower the price to $15K FIRM. How's that?

Reply to
sale-260465026

You mean all the way from the very first reply? And a whole bunch of defensive crap evidently taking it seriously? Yeah; that's "moved on quite a bit".

Who's comparing the 'Vette to anything else? I'm comparing "Day One" to 1963 vs. 1953. That's a decade-long "Day One" which, in my book, is a little loose for even Chevrolet purposes. Do you make a habit of missing the point by that much?

It's hard to be offended by humor - and I'm not. I mean, when I can toss off easy cheap shots like these and have luminaries such as yourself take any of them seriously ... "well, that's funny; I don't care who ya are." (- Larry the Cable Guy)

-- C=2ER. Krieger (still mildly bemused)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

Dizzy - head in the clouds again?

Look at the parts book. Look at the engine options. Look at what is available in Germany and the UK and compare to the US engine spec, body spec and above all look at what you CANNOT import from Euro land into the US without massive mods.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg