'Check Coolant Level' message e36 M3

I've checked the coolant level and it's full.

The temperature gauge shows good reading...and the car runs great.

99 M3 with 136K....always serviced.

The car is going in tomorrow because the heating/cooling fan motor will not stay on...it will not come on when weather is hot.

There was steam vapors coming out of interior vents the other day...hand up close and felt cold but no force to it...as the fan was inoperable.

Sure the above is an electrical relay problem that was discussed in the forum already...but am concerned about the computer reading telling me to check coolant level...when nothing is out of sorts (fluid-wise)

Could it be the water pump? Remember the temperature reading is perfect.

Anybody with an answer...or advice?

Reply to
David Hageman

In hot and humid weather, very cold output from AC will condense plumes in the cabin. Only seen once in my BMW, but an X5 with heaftier AC will readily do it.

Suspect faulty sensor, loose wire etc.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

The Coolant Level sensor is a part that requires replacement from time to time. I suggest you disconnect it, then reconnect it to see if cleaning the contacts ont he connector will make it work properly.

The message and the poor fan performance are not related.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you mean the cabin blower motor, the likely cause is the final stage resistor. Regular fault on near all BMWs and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got it.

Thanks for the tip on the sensor.

David H.

Reply to
David Hageman

You can find it, right?

It's built into the side of the radiator tank, near the bottom.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

But amazingly...it persists.

You'd think they would offer a recall on the item by now.

Reply to
David Hageman

LOL! I was too embarrassed to ask.

Okay....driver's side? ;^)

Reply to
David Hageman

Drivers' Side? That's relative.

It's on the Fill Hole Side.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm now not clear about your question. Does it refer to the electric aux fan in front of the rad?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No...the dashboard heat/AC fan. (But yes...I had already replaced the aux fan in front of the radiator a couple of years ago)

Excluservice called and said the entire unit needs to be replaced...about $359. parts and $115. labor.

Reply to
David Hageman