Droaning - Resonating exhaust - E36 325IS

Hello all, I picked up a 95 325IS this weekend. (I now have 4.) It has one of those "Rice Racer" 3" SS cat back exhaust systems on it. The system is not one of those cheap Pep Boys / Autozone universal "coffee can with dual 4" tip" specials. It was made for the car. It's molded to fit the curves of the undercarriage. There are not physical problems (Rush, holes, leaking gaskets, etc) However, when going down the road the deep resonating roar in the car is very difficult to talk over. I'm looking for info. I was told by the dealer that a X (Crossover) pipe would probably quiet the car down significantly. They showed me an M3 on the rack. The owner had removed the resonators and installed a nice looking X pipe in their place. If something like that can work, then great. It just feels silly having to replace a part that isn't broken. (Just damned loud) Worse case scenario I'll just order a new cat back system from BavAuto. :-(

Thanks for the input.

-Karl

PS - I have an X-Brace for sale. I bought it from my local dealer for one of my other E36s and do not need to install it. $100.00 plus shipping. (Also open to trades)

Reply to
Karl North

The only E36 exhausts that I've found to not drone at any given rpm are the factory muffler and the UUC system by Corsa, which might not even be on the open market yet.

Don't waste your money on an additional cross over pipe (there is already one before the catalytic converters), it won't help.

Brett Anderson KMS

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson