Exhaust system "Pattern Parts"

Hi

I'm here posting now cos i prolly should have last week before lashing out the cash.

I took my '95 Punto 1.6 to have a new front pipe fitted to the exhaust. It was blowing quite badly and so as not to upset the neighbours TOO much, decided to get the thing fixed. Here starteth the problems.

New front pipe fitted (£94), drove it away only to find a strange "whistling" noise when accelerating.

Return to garage, new-new pipe fitted...same problem. I was informed that the CAT was dying before the 2nd pipe was fitted and was advised that if the noise continued, i would need a new CAT.

OK, noise still there...new CAT fitted (and rest of system since it was all rotted through and the guy was unable to remove the old CAT without further damage).

Same problem, noise still there.

The "team" of fitters declared that the front pipe was the problem still (??????????).

so, the question is....are pattern parts REALLY that crap?

btw...the CAT has to be replaced since the sensor was locator was in the wrong location (it knocks the underside of the car :-( )

ANY feedback appreciated.

Thanx

Dan ;-)

Reply to
Dan

No, but the fitters can be.

In my experience exhausts from Kwik Fit and the like last slightly longer than their guarantee but not as long as original equipment. I've always used whoever gave the best quote as the saving over using a main dealer is worthwhile.

It sounds like your problem is with the way the parts were fitted.

Reply to
dp

It obviously doesn't work because you didn't allow them to correct the tracking that didn't need correcting, change brake pads that were OK or replace shock absorbers that would pass any MOT test in any garage! Some places are sales driven with pressure put on managers, so they end up like window sales people telling porkies and getting as much money as they can out of people.

Reply to
jason

well...they got they're money, nigh on 300 quid for a freaking punto exhaust and it's still not right...

so yes jason, they done they're sales bit...not sure about the fitters though, they're pretty sound guys.

the new-new-new front pipe is gonna be from a different supplier, the cat is gonna be a brand name (is there such one for a pattern part?)

Reply to
Dan

Gah! I'm going to have to use my 'catchphrase' again at this point!

'How much!?'

and an hour scrabbling about with the car on axle stands works for me.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Dan

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes. I have a principle on exhausts. Find out how much an original one is. If keeping car for more than one or two years then get either an OEM or a custom made stainless. Neither of which are mega expensive. Cat? Again, OEM as it will last longest. Of course if fitting it to sell it then ring round for the cheapest and when showing buyer "yes that's a characteristic sound of all of these made that year"....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp