E36- Moaning/ Groaning Noise From Right Passenger Side Wheel Well

E36 ('96 328i) emits moaning/ groaning noise from the front passenger wheel frequently when I go in reverse and turn the wheel. Not only does it make a noise but I can feel it in the steering wheel a bit. I've ignored it for the past year, as I thought it might be the brake pads sticking to the rotor. Am I naive? Probably, I have simply been trying to avoid work that I cannot perform myself, or have the tools to perform myself. (I am generally a DYI, sucessfully done water pump, thermostat, radiator, emmissions work and regular maintenance) Unfortnately this moaning/ groaning is occurring with more frequency. Any suggestions? Where to look first? What to look for?

Thanks.

Reply to
jclaw05

My guess is that you have issues with the lower control arm bushings. This is a job that a DIY-kind-of-guy can fix at home.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Where is the PAS fluid level in the reservoir?

Reply to
Ali

Thanks. On a scale of 1 to 10, where would you place the difficulty of replacing lower control arm bushings, as well struts. I have replaced struts in the past on my VW's, usually it was a nightmare because the bolts basically fused to the mounting. The E36 I have now is 12 years old (100k)...honest thoughts on dealing and performing suspension work, especially in light of BMW's relatively precise steering and suspension systems?

Reply to
jclaw05

Bushes aren't difficult per se, just can be a bit of a pain as you need to press them in/out unless you get a complete wishbone with bushes already attached. You can consider replacing the bushes with those powerflex ones and/or some offset M3 items.

Struts, to me at least, are easy too - three nuts up top, the hub holder nut/bolt and the antiroll bar link if fitted is about it. Much like brakes, the suspension system on BMWs isn't all that much different to a lot of other cars. The usual problem is that the manual says "this requires a special tool - take it to BMW"

Incidentally, it's often normal to get a noise and steering shimmy on very full lock. Some handbooks even tell you so.

Reply to
adder1969

It depends on how corroded things are, but in general I would say it is harder to do than a Bug, but easier than a Golf or Rabbit. Get a cheap electric impact wrench AND a breaker bar.

The precision of the system makes it easier, actually. Everything just goes together and fits right in. The hard part is getting it apart, really.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey