Service Indicator lights

I was just thinking that my '92 E34 doesn't know if I'm using dino or synthetic oil, so does that mean the service light indicators are worthless? I can't remember when synthetic started becoming the "norm" for high end cars, but I'm thinking it was after '92. Any thoughts on this?

thanks,

Reply to
Carl Hollomon

In the US, BMW made the changeover in '98 or '99 as my '97 was dino oil and my '99 is OEM synthetic. You can assume that the service indicator is calculating service intervals using approx. 7,500 miles as a baseline. Although my '99 calls for 15,000 mile service, I get an "interim" oil change at 7,500.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Thanks, Tom. I change my oil around 8,000 miles anyway, so maybe I can use the indicator lights anyway.

If I reset my oil service light after changing the oil and it isn't to the yellow or red lights yet, will the computer know that the next countdown is to the Inspection 1 or 2?

Reply to
Carl Hollomon

I'm assuming by your questions that you have switched at some point to synthetic oil as I believe your E34 originally came with dino. IMHO, the 8k changes (or as indicated by the dash lights) are fine.

It should, although I don't think it can distinguish between 1 and 2, only Inspection or Oil service. I know that on my '99 (with ca. 15k recommended intervals), I do not have the service light reset after an "Interim Oil Change" - but on your car, 7.5k is the baseline so the light should be reset to give you a countdown to the next service.

I also recall that when I switched from OEM dino oil to synthetic on my '97, the dealer continued the ca. 8k free service during the free maintenance period, although I did have to provide the synthetic oil on my dime.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.