e36 - on board computer - flashing dashboard lights

Hello people, I was hoping someone out there could help me...

I have a 325tds se 94, whilst driving, at random times, the lights on my dashboard will go off, or come on, intermittently... sometimes the odometer will reset itself...

is there anyone who could help?

thanx guys!

Reply to
the ultimate posting machine

When the odometer goes below 30,000, sell.

Reply to
Dean Dark

hehe, i meant the resettable mileage gauge, my mistake! also the speedometer and rev counter / fuel gauge stop and start sometimes...

Reply to
the ultimate posting machine

Not unheard of on early E36s.

Similar age E34s have a problem in the dash due to electrolytic capacitors drying out inside, replacing them fixes the problem. I strongly suspect the early E36s have the same problem, so replacing all the electrolytics would be my first go.

Our own E36 did this once or twice, it was a 93.

Reply to
John Burns

I've had three BMWs with on board computers and they all stopped working for no apparent reason....partially lit display, non-working auto-mode (temperature setting).It's a piece of crap for such a fine automobile..and they must know it.

Reply to
David Hageman

I've bought about 10 or 15 television sets over the years. They've all stop working after anywhere from 6 months to 10 years for no apparent reason. Pieces of crap...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

non-working

An onboard computer display should not fail just because you've driven

100,000 miles (in 3-1/2 years)faithfully having the vehicle serviced.

They want a lot of money to replace interior fan switches etc..

As a veteran BMW owner over the years, it's too much of a coincidence.

They should stop putting this crap in their cars and get some quality manufacturers to supply them.

David H.

Reply to
David Hageman

Hi Fred

I'm an electronics engineer by trade. Through the family we have never bought anything other than Sony TV's and never had a problem, from a 21 year old 6" colour portable to a 23 year old table model and several in between. They are premium priced in South Africa, but I think you get what you pay for. Maybe we've just been lucky. This isn't necessarily the case with BMW. I bought a new cloth cover for the driver's seat backrest in my Nov 1992 320i. I bought it in the UK where it cost £56. In South Africa it costs the equivalent of £100. It is made by cheap eastern European labour in Czekoslovakia and measures not one square metre, nowhere near. Even at £56 it's a rip off. Here in Cape Town I can get the seats and door panels done in new leather at an independent shop for less than what BMW charge for new cloth. As David Hageman said, BMW want a lot of money for replacements. I just keep wondering how they justify the prices.

George Troupe Cape Town South Africa.

Reply to
George Troupe

Also worth pointing out that the fabric on BMW seats is very variable in quality. I had to replace the covers on my 93 318iS at only 90k. My 30 with sports seats and 182k still looks fresh!

Reply to
John Burns

Interesting to note John. The 320i has done 178,000km. One wonders if it's a matter of luck sometimes when something fails. On odd occasions, the 320i refuses to start, with just a click from under the bonnet. Try a few times, no luck, then let it stand a while and away she goes. On the other hand I have a 20 year old Ford Sierra with a V6 2.3l German engine. It has done

215,000km, has no rust, never needs topping up with oil between changes, the aircon still cools and has never failed to start. But it certainly doesn't drive anything like the 320i. A great utility vehicle though! My brother recently replaced the ignition switch assembly in his 318i (1996). Is it a common problem I wonder, and is my car now showing symptoms?