E39 3.0 - Oil consumption and suggestions

Got my car on 64k miles, now it is at 76k all running fine. After about

6k, a message appeared "check engine oil level" (or words to that effect) which I did - it was low - put in about 0.8 of a litre of whatever BMW recommends. Now again, I am getting that message so it seems that we are consuming around a litre of oil every 6k miles - is that normal / within range of acceptable?

Also is it really essential to go for the BMW-branded oil - I know the answer is of course NO but what should I be using instead?

Reply to
Jeremy

This level of usage is well within normal range. You may want to actually open the hood once in a great while and if your BMW is blessed with that old-fashioned device called a "dip-stick" - pull it out and take a look.

I believe your '01 was so blessed. They didn't do away with the dipstick until the past year or so (a dumb move IMHO - but I'm sure they have their reasons..)

It might be worthwhile to price the BMW branded oil vs any other good quality synthetic. You may find that the BMW specified 5W-30 synthetic that they sell is less expensive than aftermarket - especially if you're in the US and have joined the BMW Car Club of America - since most parts departments give a discount if you show you're a member.

Reply to
admin

The hood *opens* ??

Reply to
Jeremy

No, he's having you on. Only the dealer has the special key that's needed to open the hood.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Any good quality synthetic in the proper weight should do. I use Mobil 1. If you go with the full service interval (which can be upwards of 16,000 miles), you might want to go with Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple ... allegedly superior in extended service.

Less than a quart in 6K is very good. While the M54 specs would suggest up to 1 Qt per 1000 miles is "normal" consumption I'd find that unusual for this engine unless it was a high mileage unit AND neglected.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Z3 3.0 coupé

I think you need figures to compare !

0.26 liter / 1000 km, except when driving on mountain roads, widely using engine brake. The consumption may be 2 times more as usual. I assume that it's due to the suction through the valve seals and the piston rings. There's 85000 km on it and the value didn't varied for 6.5 years.

It was exactly of the same order whith my old 316i E30 18 years ago :-)

During the winter I also noticed a sligth increase of oil consumption (on both as well). Probably due to the clearances not setteling perfectly on short daily commuting by highway.

"Jeremy" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Reply to
frischmoutt

Of course, at least twice a month for a proper and through cleaning session. Don't you pamper your baby ? I hate to stain my hands when I wipe the engine !

Reply to
frischmoutt

I hope you'll give careful consideration to the use of Royal Purple. I am personally familiar with several cases where Royal Purple was used and the engine promptly began to consume oil at an alarming rate. The Royal Purple Company refused to acknowledge the possibility that their oil had somehow caused a problem and stated that using their oil had "revealed" an existing problem. After abandoning cusomers early on I now understand that Royal Purple does not recommend beginning the use of their product on engines with more than

12,000 miles (although still not admitting that the product damaged older engines). Regards, Dan
Reply to
Dan F.

Note the carefully chosen word "allegedly." Sounds like RP has a compatibility problem with seals, which used to be quite common in the early synthetic era.

I've had good experience with Mobil 1 over several vehicles and many miles. But I've yet to explore the 250,000+ frontier where meticulous oil service might (or might not) prove its worth. R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

A good point. It's only at very high mileages any difference between quality oils and the mileage you change them *might* become apparent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, sort of. Many of the manufacturers recommend rather extended oil change schedules based on the use of high quality, full synthetic oils. If you tried to run the same engine on conventional oil using the same change intervals, well... You will not have to worry about reaching those high mileages.

One problem I have with Mobil 1 is that it is a very different oil in the different labels and viscosities. And over time the formulations have changed several times. Red cap/Blue cap, Silver cap... I tried running the 10w30 in my BMW 325i and the vanos did not like it at all. Too thin even though 10w30 is the recommended summer weight oil.

Lately I have been using only Shell Rotella-T full synthetic in my cars (and motorcycles) that require synthetic oil. It is a 5W40 weight and I have yet to find a situation for which it isn't the right stuff.

SAAB recommends the use on Mobile 1 0W40 for the late model 9-3 Sport Sedans (this is what they use in their dealerships), but when my daughter's went off warranty (over 50k miles) I switched it over to the Rotella.

Oh, it can be had for ~ $15 a gallon at Walmarts in the US.

Reply to
Fred W

do you want to keep the car?

A couple of months iod fine with a crap oil change otherwise get decent il

Reply to
tommy

Sounds acceptable, but check for leaks onto the garage floor, or from the around the filter housing. Oil was probably fairly low when you bought it.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Close, about $22-25 for the 5 qt jug.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

No, Rotella is only available in 4 qt (gallon) jugs and it is the price I mentioned.

Reply to
Fred W

Sorry, I misread and thought we were talking about Mobil 1.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

My E46 330ci uses about the same. It used to use more when using Castrol 0W-30 LL01 (dealer recommended), however by using Motul BMW Specific LL01 5W-30 the usage reduced by about 20%.

Reply to
Pashlipops

-------- I ran into a similar problem after some seal work with my '86 535i. I wanted to take advantage of the longer life and possibly better lube qualities of synthetic. It sprung a leak almost immediately. I went to 20w50 non-synth and problem solved. I was trying 10w40 synth. I have also heard that older engines are better off with a heavier weight oil and a non-synth. For 172k miles, mine is very well sealed and burns/leaks nothing. Between 3-4k mile oil changes, it uses leass than half a quart.

Bill in Omaha '86 535i

Reply to
Bill

I have not as yet been convinced of the virtues of synthetic oil and have been waiting for some evidence that it will extend the life of my engine. I have had excellent experience using conventional oil and am not willing to give that up without a little more evidence than advertising hype. I am writing to ask if anyone knows of any scientifically solid studies comparing engine wear rates between conventional and synthetic lubricants.

Reply to
Jack

From what I've read its only major advantage is a longer service life.

Reply to