E39 540iA ('00): 'Undocumented' DSC mode ?

As stability control evolves, mfr's are providing more DSC modes for owners to choose. But on my 540, there appears to be a choice of either DSC on/DSC off.

1) In this application, when DSC is off, is just the traction control disabled or are both traction and stability control turned off?

2) On some earlier cars, it is possible for an owner to reduce intervention by holding the DSC button for an extended period. I've tried this (holding DSC button for 10+ sec) but don't sense any difference. Is there a different sequence I need to use or is it simply a binary feature (on/off - nothing else)

Regards, Ken R.

Reply to
Ken R.

SharkmanBMW

"SharkmanBMW" wrote in news:5Ywhe.112299$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net:

The DSC icon does not flash when I hold the button for an extended period.

With DSC off (icon lit up on Driver Info Centre) the car is not restrained by engine/throttle regulation. In a Solo II (AutoX) event today on a fast track, the rear tire(s) would spin on hard accel out of a tight gate through a sweeping turn to the next gate. However, despite the drama, there was never a time when the rear felt like it was going to rotate around.

Under the circumstances, the DSC icon was already lit up so I wasn't seeing it blink as it will when DSC is enabled and traction gets loose. The M-Sport cars have a limited slip diff so one would think that when loose tires are heard at the rear - they are both spinning. Still, since the car was not trying to come around, I am wondering whether DSC was intervening by actuating the brakes on one or more of the f/r corners.

.
Reply to
Ken R.