E46 & E 39 Coil recall?

My wife just had to have her 2003 E46 towed in for a HORRIBLE misfire. Turned out that the coils were bad on two cyl's. A few months ago my 2003 E39 had to go through a similar repair, but for only one cyl.

Her repair order said " Recall # 12 13 05 OP# 0056083 for 7 FRU DFC#

0012100200583.....Vehicle has Bremi ignition coils. Installed Bosch coils."

I haven't seen anything about such a recall on any website. Any ideas what's going on? Perhaps a "Silent" recall.

Reply to
JimmyG

"JimmyG" wrote

Don't know of any BMW recalls, but it's interesting that Audi/VW in the US had a recall on many 2001-2003 cars for the same reason - failing coilpacks, with Bremi being the manufacturer. However, they were getting replaced also with Bremi, just different (updated) coil design.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

It is a recall of all Bremi coils, to be replaced by Bosch. BMW is not the only company to use these coils. Bremi has had several updates in their coils, but they still continue to fail. This is why BMW is replacing them with Bosch coils.

Reply to
as3

Thanks for the info!

I remember the Audi problems. That's why we bought BMW. Look where THAT got us! Small price for an otherwise great car.

Reply to
JimmyG

Our 01 318 had 3 coils replaced at 75k miles. It is a know problem. We had the last 3 coils at the dealer.

Reply to
Ian

I heard of this but AFAIR BMW (in the UK) wil only repalce if there is actually a problem. i.e. they wait for you to break down before they'll replace the coils.

Reply to
adder1969

I imagine they're mailing these out in stages - but I received the recall notice for my '03 E39 touring. The coils are being replaced.

What's funny is the early M50 engines used Bosch coils - which had problems so the Bremi were chosen to replace them. The Bremi were supposed to be the "good ones".

So far the '03 has had two coils replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Don