E60 Tyre wear

Just had to replace all 4 tyres on my 525 after 20,000 miles. It is fitted with Dunlop Sport 18" runflats and it cost me =A3740 to replace them - works out at 3.6p per mile!

The local dealer says this is normal (the inside of the front tyres were bald) - geometry tests showed everthing in alignment.

I asked the dealer if I could replace the wheels with another size and with less expensive tyres - they could not say! Anybody out there have any ideas?

Reply to
graham.halls

The local dealer says this is normal (the inside of the front tyres were bald) - geometry tests showed everthing in alignment.

I asked the dealer if I could replace the wheels with another size and with less expensive tyres - they could not say! Anybody out there have any ideas?

20k on a tyre is not too bad. £740 for 4 is expensive.

On BMW's the rears tend to wear in the middle (even if inflated correctly) and the fronts (especially the NHS (left) in the UK (roundabouts)) on the outside edge. Wearing on the inside edge is indicative of incorrect alignment.

On BMW's the rears tend to wear fastest, so when they get low in the middle put them on the front where they will go fastest on the edges and put new ones on the edge.

If the fronts wear very asymmetrically you can turn them one the rim (if reversible) or turn them on the rim and swap sides (if not), but I would look for a geometry fault first.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Found this menu of wheels on the web.

The local dealer says this is normal (the inside of the front tyres were bald) - geometry tests showed everthing in alignment.

I asked the dealer if I could replace the wheels with another size and with less expensive tyres - they could not say! Anybody out there have any ideas?

Reply to
Jack

There was a defect in the Dunlop tires. They will wear out faster than usual on the insides. This defect has been corrected on new Dunlop tires. The BMW will replace the tires for free if it occurs under 20,000 miles, but over that it is customer pay. You can expect your new tires will last longer than that if properly inflated. I perfer 38 psi in the front and 41 psi in the rear.

Reply to
as3