E90 4 Series?

Earlier on I had heard that the E90 coupe would be designated as the 4 Series; I understood that BMW was moving to a policy of all four door cars being odd numbered while two door cars would be even numbered.

Lately I've heard no mention of a 4 Series, and everyone seems to be referring to the upcoming E90 3 Series coupe and M3.

Has the 4 Series designation fallen out of favour?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Oberle

Correct. It appears that they are not doing one (neither are they doing a 2 series). I would have thought that it would unnecessarily devalue the strong

3 series brand.
Reply to
Sam Smith

Presumably the coupe will inherit the general shape of the saloon, or will they try and make it look better as it's pig ugly IMHO? tim

Reply to
tim

Hopefully we see the new 3 series as 350i, as BMW is coming out with a

550i, and a 650I,

I would also liked to see a Logic 7 option without the iDrive nonsense. I prefer to keep the A/C, audio, and nav separate. I think cars with iDrive (or any computer managing 3 main systems) will be too expensive to repair long term and will die a miserable death on the used car market.

Reply to
redline

Reply to
Keith Kratochvil

I doubt we'll see a V8 3 series anytime soon other than the upcoming M3. The rumor is that there will be a 335i that will either be a larger engine I6 or a bi-turbo version of the current N62 engine from the 330i.

Logic7 is available as a standalone option on the 325i and is standard on the 330i. I-Drive is not required.

Kyle.

98 740iL 97 M3
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Yep it is confusing. I check the BMWUSA web site. The 5 series shows Logic 7 as an option.

I tried to build a 330 sedan and could not upgrade to L7.

When I looked at the vehicles options/highlights, it shows L7 not as an option, but an upgrade to the base audio. However, there was no way to select it when building the car.

Reply to
redline

Very strange, I just went back to the BMW site and built a 325 sedan, it has the option for Logic 7 (Premium Sound Package) upgrade wher ethe

330 does not.

I wonder if the web site is wrong and you can find 330 with L7.

At any rate I am glad I can get it without i-Drive.

Reply to
redline

So Redline, why don't you like I drive?

Is this something else that you have misread or developed an option on without ever having used it?

Reply to
330xi

It is not just i-Drive, it is the concept of controlling main system functions from a central display. Lexus, Infiniti, BMW are all starting to do it.

I think long term it will ruin the heritage of the vehicles.

Think about it, you buy a 645ci with i-Drive for 80k. In 10-20 years the car will be worth let's say 8-10k. The i-Drive is broken thereby rendering the A/C, Heat, Audio, and Nav useless. The cost to repair will likely be at least 3-5k assuming you can even get parts. There will be no way to put in after market parts. So I think what will happend is the cars will become step children.

The whole idea of a computer screen in a car is fairly new. There have not been any long term tests to suggest how reliable the computers and screens will be. However, in corporate america, we replace computers every 2-3 years and they are not getting bounced around on the road or subjected to extreme heat and cold.

Also, I have read several articles on how the Nav systems are just a scam to increase dealer profit another 5%. The average Nav system costs about 2k. Assuming you keep the car for four years, that is $500 per year for the Nav. If you look up an address once per week, (this is average for most users), each lookup costs you about $10. Most people ignore their Nav after a few months because it is more of a Novelty. The ones that really need them are motorhomes, cab/limo drivers, ambulance/fire.

I work for a large telecommunications company. Although I cannot go into to specifics, the technology coming out on cell phones and PDAs will blow away the car nav and all for approx $100 bucks. And you will be able to walk down the street or ride a bike and use it so you won't be tied to a car.

Maps change all the time, the map in your car is outdated as soon as the DVD is burned. Realtime access to real, accurate data is the way of the future. Not some auto maker deciding to put a cell phone or nav system in a car and then finally getting it to market 3 years laters where it is already obsolete.

Reply to
redline

No one told you to buy a Nav package, i would not pay that much for a toy like that.

People who would take advantage of a Nav on a daily basis would get their return in time and effort saved, for everyone else it a toy.

But i was asking about I Drive and i thing that your uneducated guess and hypothesis is quite unfounded. Besides there is no car out there today without complicated electronics so according to you we should all go back to our '56 Buick or perhaps horse and buggy.

Reply to
330xi

Not at all, I am just saying don't put your eggs all in one i-Drive Basket.

Ask the 7 series buyers of how much of a joy it has been.

And please, if you found one positive reivew on i-Drive, well, I must have been out of the country when it was publised.

Sounds like you got screwed and suckered into i-Drive land based on your defensive posture.

Reply to
redline

Nah, simpler than that: he's a cheerleader...

Reply to
daytripper

there are numerous excellent TV and written reviews on I drive from progressive individuals who know alot about what they are talking about and are not narrow mind or short sighted and can program their VCR.

i happen to know numerous 7 series owners that love their cars, have had little hassles and several who have already purchases their second because there is no other car that car live up to their expectations.

There is more to the world than the narrow perspective of the America car critic.

Reply to
330xi

I've not had the opportunity to play with iDrive, but would like to try it out. I've read the negative reviews but believe the concept is intriguing and am not intimidated by the technology. If it makes working the car more efficient, I'm all for it.

Then again, I would have liked to have a nav system in my E46 too, I've used them in rental cars and they're just too cool. I've not seen the BMW version to determine how well it stacks up against those with which I've worked, but my expectations would be pretty high given the retail price.

Of course, this year's luxury items eventually trickle down to be base car commodity items; I expect we'll see iDrive and navigation technology in most cars in the not too distant future.

I look forward to the time when I can tune into my home system's mp3 library from my car's audio system.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Oberle

Can you point us to the written reviews?

Thanks

Reply to
redline

follow link for one of many, if you were at well read as you lead us to believe.

i don't have the time to do all your research for you but if you looked for something other than the negatives you may end up with a better informed opinion.

Reply to
330xi

Geesh, you don't need to be so damn rude.

This article is anything but a glowing review for iDrive. Surely you can do better than this since you seem to know everything.

Reply to
redline

For once, I agree with some of what you said. Which is a first.

It's definitely affected secondhand values ... compare the prices of I- drive equipped beemers with those of similar Mercs of the same age and mileage.

I've tried 2 versions. I get the impression, and this seems to be bourne out by customer feedback, that it's fine once you get used to it, but a bit of a "WTF?!" if you've just started with it (some rental companies apparently find it a right pain, as it's not good for just slinging a person into). I have to confess that, as a "gadget" sort of a bloke, I could see myself playing with it for hours, and quite enjoying getting it /just/ right.

There's also the point that the car is still a beemer; Jeremy Clarkson tested the new M5, spent ages slagging off the I-drive, then promptly ordered one as he loved the car so much he forgave it the electronics. I also suspect a lot of the negative feedback on I-drive by journos is the old problem of one journo taking a dislike, and others jumping on the bandwagon.

It's one of those things that I think will improve over time. Reviews I've read of later versions are less scathing, and the concept itself, that of a user-defined instrumentation and driving state, is a sound one.

The long term reliability issue is still a concern though. One assumes that, once the number of I-drive equipped cars reaches a certain point, aftermarket screens (the priciest bit) and control units would become available, but the diagnostics would still presumably be a bit of a bitch.

As a reason not to buy a new beemer though, assuming I could afford one, I'd say the appalling styling was more of an issue than the I-drive :)

Reply to
Bear

That's a bit rich, coming from you.

Reply to