electrical problem...

I've got an 85 325e that has been having some electrical problems lately, every once in a while when i try start the engine, it dies instantly after turning over but will start again without problem if i try a second time. Usually after it dies, my radio looses it's preset station memory. What is going on??

the second problem happens sometimes when i start the engine, it with idle fine for a few seconds then the RPM's will creep slowly down to 0 and it will die, or the engine will idle very irradicaly and will not settle down unless i begin to drive above idle speed.

if anyone could help me out with these problems it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
ninja73

First thing I'd suggest is checking the battery. Pull it and take it to a shop and have it tested. After that, there's a ton of things to check...

Reply to
Psycho

assuming that the battery checks out fine, what else could be the problem??

thanks for the help!!

Reply to
ninja73

That sounds like the battery is being disconnected totally. Possibly the fuseable link in the main battery cable?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
shaqtopz

Could be a bad ground, bad connection to the positive side of the battery, loose connection at the fuse box, etc. First and foremost is checking the battery. I've seen batteries that are marginal work one time and fail the next only to work again 5 minutes later. My battery was just replaced and one of the things it was doing was that the radio would sometimes turn off and back on when I turned on the headlights. Battery tested good but right on the edge of marginal. That battery is now on a lawn mower that can be pull started if it fails. My car needs to be reliable and sitting with a dead battery doesn't meet that need...

Reply to
Psycho

thanks for the advice! I'll see if i can solve the problem.

Reply to
ninja73