Engine dies while decelerating

This is a recent problem, 2 days tops. Sometimes when I start the car it starts fine but then dies. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it going. When I am driving and I slow down the rpm's drop fast and the car can stall. After driving a while it seems to be fine, but it does this even when the engine is warm. Other times it starts and drives fine, although it may idle a bit low (under 500 rpm). It is a '99 Explorer qith about 109K miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Davidq

It's probably the IAC valve, located directly on top of the intake manifold ( below the plastic shroud). It is responsible for keeping the car running at idle. Remove it and clean it with a solvent. If it still does not work, get a new one at your local auto parts store. It is a common problem.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
Beeper

"Davidq" wrotenews:1113010725.728861.284730 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Sounds just like what happened with an older car and a plugged up catalytic converter. A muffler shop dropped it and installed a "test pipe" and walla! Giddyup and Go!

Reply to
Mapanari

David,

I had the same problem with my 97 XLT, but the speed odometer was working intermidly, I found out that the problem was a sensor on the transmission, it has a wire going to it, I believe it is secured by one or two screws. I had mine replaced and the truck ran fine after that.

Jessie97XLT

Reply to
Jessie97XLT