'93 Chrysler Concorde transmission problem

Hi everyone,

I have a 1993 Chrysler Concorde with the 3.3 liter engine. It's a second car that I mainly use for long highway trips...anyway...

Lately the transmission has been acting up. When cold, for about the first 5 minutes of operation, the transmission will repeatedly slip/disengage. When this happens it feels like the engine is in neutral. I can get it back in gear by either revving the engine to about 3,000rpm (I had to do this a couple times in busy traffic), or by stopping the car and repeatedly shifting from park to drive. Also, in this first five minutes of operation, after I get the transmission back in gear, it will stay in second gear, but this also goes away after just a few minutes of operation.

After the car has been driven for about 5 minutes, these problems goes away. And for

2-3 hours after that, the problem doesn't recur.

My local dealer says that diagnosis and repair could run anywhere from $250 to over $1,000. Since this is an old second car I don't want to spend that kind of money and will just junk it if it comes to that. But, does anyone know of any cheap and simple repairs, fluids I could add, etc that I could try to fix the problem? I do simple maintenance myself (batteries\oil changes\etc) but I can't handle anything much beyond that.

Reply to
trevor_smithson

Service the transmission. How long since a fluid change? Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Service the transmission. How long since a fluid change? Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

About 2 years since the last transmission fluid change.

Reply to
trevor_smithson

Dumb question, but have you checked the fluid following the procedure in the manual? If the fluid is low it can cause this problem. If that doesn't work I would try changing the fluid and filter and see what happens.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Yes, it was low by a very small amount--I addes about 1/4th of a quart, but the problem stayed the same. I'm going to try a fluid & filter change next. If that doesn't fix it it goes to the scrapyard.

Reply to
trevor_smithson

Try a full transmission service (new fluid and a full adjustment from a trans professional.)

And stop shifting repeatedly from park to drive.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy