Enigine speed vs fuel economy?

I think you'll find the difference in engine friction to be small compared to the difference in pumping losses between an open and partially open throttle.

I don't have engine design figures handy, but if you look it up I'm sure this is what you'll find. There's also engine design software available which lets you plug in various figures to see how they affect everything else.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

I don't think this is as important as it used to be, but it's still good advice.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Filled cylinders are usually more effiecint than partly filled cylinders. Flooring it and short shifting is not a problem except maybe in first gear - not that I care to drive like that (I have an IS)

Regards,

Reply to
Rob Munach

That is a good point to shift into the next gear, but I think it is a bit fast for crusing on the blvd., on the way to get a gallon of milk.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland