Speed...Is it bad

Ok before I get abused for speeding etc I'm just asking. I drive about

30miles each morning very early down a motorway, I have a 306 1.9TD and ok I drive it (when its safe to do so) at around 100mph Ok providing the car is looked after with regular oil changes etc what negative effect will it have on the car at around 100mph the car runs at around 3500rpm (I think).

Thanks for any replies Oli

Reply to
The Question Asker

The Question Asker

The car should be ok but your fuel consumption will probably be at least double of what you'd get driving 55mph.

Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

none,

just do your intervals @ 10.000 Km use highgrade oil, and change the oil/air/feul filter change your cambelt more often then spect my old 305 did about 300.000 Km @ 160 Km/h ( 100 miles) and it still runs fine.

Reply to
Marc

Also watch out for Gatsos :-)

Reply to
Speedbird

Reply to
Oliver

Yeah, it's a diesel. I currently drive a VW Caddy 1.9TDI at work,

55mph is 2000rpm. That means 100mph = 3600rpm. Not that I'd ever done more than 70mph in it.
Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

Yep the 406 HDi only hits 3500ish at 100MPH

Rick

Reply to
Rick Maninov

As the engines only doing 3.5K RPM, there should be no adverse engine effects (What's the red line on this one 4.5 or 5K?) The rolling chassis is going to see more abrasion from bumps n stuff, but I wouldn't think massively, particularly as you're on M/ways. The only problem I have with doing this kind of speed regularly is worrying about the survivabilty of a front wheel blow out, particularly as the tyres are going to warm up.... but then I whittle a bit ;-)

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov

In message , The Question Asker writes

My 306 TD hits about 95 at 3500rpm, very rarely get to 100 as it runs out of puff around there. I do about 100 mway miles a day and normally sit at around 3200rpm (allegedly). The car has survived this ok so far, I bought it with 20k on the clock and it's not far off hitting 100k 2.5 years later. Only faults so far are an A/C pipe leak which I haven't bothered to fix and some miscellaneous oil leaks, which I haven't fixed either. The main one being from the power-steering rack and it just needs topping up every few thousand miles. On the subject of power steering leaks - has anybody tried the "stop leak" products from STP and Wynns? Is it just snake oil?

The car still drives like new, it could benefit from a new clutch cable and a general valet (which it'll get at 100k) but for a motorway slogger it's brilliant. No plans to sell it even though after an upcoming house move my commute will change from 100 mway miles to 40 odd on country roads.

Top tip for motorway driving - stick to Michelins, I'm still on the original tyres at the rear :-)

Reply to
mike. buckley

check those michelins for tyre wall wear. they perish and crack before the treads gone.

Simon

Reply to
SimonDS