Extended warranty on 2002 E46?

My 2002 325CI goes off warranty next month. Has anyone picked up an extended warranty, most likely third party, for their car. Any satisfied customers? It seem BMW doesn't accept most 3rd party payment plans.Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

most will advise you to stay awy from 3rd party... they know what breaks and it is not usually covered! invest the $$$ and use it when you need it, I had the same decision to make, and that was my choice.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Thanks SharkmanBMW In the past year, I had a thermostat replaced, window regulator, and front end "wishbones", all under warranty. Usually I don't go for the extended warranties, but now I'm a little gun-shy.

Reply to
Joe C

I bought BMW's extended warranty for my 2003 325i. I'm about 6000 miles out of the original warranty and haven't had to use it yet. The warranty has fairly extensive list of exclusions. It looks like it doesn't cover any of the wear and tear stuff which includes the suspension. It also does not cover upkeep, but that is covered by a separate extended service plan that BMW sells. I bought the warranty mainly because the electrical stuff. The stereo is not covered, and nor is the navigation system, but I don't have the latter. It's a crap shoot as to whether or not it is going to be worth it.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Thanks Anoop I went to BMW and they would only offer me a 3rd party warranty. Is that what you purchased? Joe

Reply to
Joe C

No. You should ask the dealer about the warranty sold by BMW. I don't think they make as much money on it as they do with the 3rd party one which is why they try to push the 3rd party one. (I don't know that for a fact, though).

BMW sells 2 plans - one is a warranty plan and the other is the service plan (which basically extends all of the privileges the owner had with the free servicing and covers all scheduled maintenance including things like brake pads and rotors). Both are sold only for a 6 yr/100000 miles term (as opposed to the 3rd party warranties which are sold for a variety of terms). Finally, with the warranty plan, there is $50 copay each time you have to use the warranty.

I would suggest calling around around as well. Prices can differ fairly significantly to make it worth your time.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

BMW will only sell you their extended warranty if you are the original owner of the car or you are buying the car used from a BMW dealer (they are true ass-holes about this as they are about other things). Otherwise, you have to buy 3rd party.

Reply to
GRL

exactly... I took over a lease and have no choice but to go 3rd party. If it was a BMW warranty, I would have said yes, but not for 3rd party, they exclude everything that breaks!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

In the UK it's like that althoguh they don't tell you until you try to make a claim. I'm told that "BMW don't underwrite their extended warraties anymore". The one I was offered was from Elvira Travel Insurance.

Reply to
adder1969

I have a third party warranty currently here in UK. I have made some claims successfully through it but I always have trouble justifying my case and they do anything they can to not pay up. For example, they will limit the pay out as they feel the work should have only took as long as they say, or they decide that for example a part hasn't had a breakdown because it hasn't broke into pieces. I've had to argue with them that clearly parts break down in different ways but that they become effectively useless, they disagree somehow. I wouldn't recommend them as their policy sounds good when it's being sold on the advert, but its annoying when its time to claim and they get really difficult and occasionally quite rude on the phone. Ive sent many letters of complaint and I have made some ground but its really ridiculous how far I had to take the complaints. The are really just a bunch of w**kers who want your money then will try not to hold their side of the bargain. Be very careful when you are considering one of these policies.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
M C