Extended Warranty

I have a 2003 TL, which has 27,000 miles. At this point in time, I intend to keep the vehicle for at least another

2-3 years. The original warranty on my vehicle expires within the next few weeks and I have been contemplating purchasing an extended warranty, which must be done prior to the expiration of the original warranty.

When I went to the Acura dealer, the individual responsible for selling these extended warranties was pushing coverage from a company by the name of Easy Care, not the ones available from Acura. He cited that the coverage with Easy Care is much more comprehensive and less costly than the warranties offered directly through Acura. Additionally, he cited another significant advantage of purchasing the Easy Care warranty over the ones from Acura was being able to take my vehicle to any dealer, not just Acura. Of course I wonder how many non-Acura dealers would have the necessary parts for most repairs or if they would have to be special-ordered.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any feedback from those that may have purchased an extended warranty and whether there truly is an advantage of purchasing one from Acura or one from Easy Care or any other third-party company.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Raymond Babbitt

Bzzzt, bad answer. The real reason is simply that he makes a bigger profit selling "Easy Care" than the real Acura deal.

I would never, ever buy a third party extended warranty. Sometimes the companies go broke, sometimes they just jerk you around.

Your choice if you want to buy at all, but if you do:

1) Buy the Acura 1. 2) Get if somewhere else!

John

Reply to
John Horner

[...]

Thank you very much. A second party coverage in my opinion is never as good as the coverage from your local Acura dealers one.

and ask yourself aside from cheaper cost of buying a second party coverage is it really necessery or worth buying it? especially on a "quality well built vehicle like youres".

in my opinion No! not for 2-3 years of driving your Acura is too new and too well built to brake down in that time periode save your money and invest some of it in maintanance and you will be fine. remember its an AcuraTL not a VW or domestic piece of sh%$&t vehicle that sees a dealer/shop every so often.

Reply to
johnin

I would go with Acura Care only. Others can go out of business and refuse to pay. Also I would buy a extended warranty for your TL, 99 - 03's have had lots and I mean lots of problems with there transmissions even though Acura automobiles are really good. I had a 87 Legend that lasted 290,000 miles and replace the trans at 185,000, then it went out again at the

290,000 mark.

Go here

and click on pricing.

Reply to
Bob How

I thank each of you for your comments/input; I found them to be most helpful.

I sincerely appreciate the time you took to respond to my inquiry and wish each of you the very best!

Sincerely,

Reply to
Raymond Babbitt

Ray, Note that Honda extended the warranty to 7 yr/100k miles on the transmissions for 2000-2003 Acurae:

Your 2003 TL may be covered so it's worth factoring this in to any extended warranty plan.

We experienced the transmission failure (engine flaring between 2>3 shifts) recently on our 2001 TL w/ 56k miles. Acura replaced the transmission and engine control unit no charge and supplied a loaner vehicle as well in the interim. Likely would have been a $3k repair job minimum if out of pocket.

I agree with the other posters - steer clear of 3rd party warranties for the reasons stated.

Reply to
art