Fan Clutch Problem

I have a 1995 BMW 740iL, a couple of days ago as I drove on the interstate, I heard a loud humming sound that only got worst as I accelerated, I thought it was the transmission, yet the gears engage correctly. So I stopped at a mechanics and he came to the conclusion that it was the fan clutch that it was locked. The question is will a bad fan clutch make a loud humming sound, it sounds as if the engine were being stressed out, yet it drives fine and the transmission is engaging correctly. Can anyone shed some light?

Reply to
phi