Whining Chinese Fan Clutch on '91

I just replaced my fan clutch on my '91 XLT (4.0 V6 EFI) with one that I got from Auto Zone's online store. It looks exactly like the OEM Ford part but it makes a loud whining noise when I accelerate. It says "Made in China." The description was "heavy duty for fast revving engines" or something to that effect. Since the fan clutches are thermostatically controlled I expect it to engage when the engine is hot and disengage when it cools off some. I'm not certain but it seems to engage when the engine is running faster and disengages when it's running slower. Is there some way to test this thing to make sure it's working right? It feels tighter than the old one which rotated easily when the engine was hot and off. The new clutch

*seems* to be working great as my overheating problem is gone and the cooling systems seems to be operating exactly like it should, but the fan is rather loud and annoying. I also replaced the fan blade recently (before the new clutch) and it looks exactly like the old fan and I got it from Ford. It also looks like I put it on the right way. It was not whining with the old clutch.

I could probably take it back to any Auto Zone store and get one from Ford if need be. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Ulysses wrote: The new clutch

Have you considered the idea that it's making noise because it's working now? It was likely quieter when it didn't work. ;-)

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

He he. Yea, well I expected it to make some more noise but this is a very annoying sound. A long time ago when the old one was still working it would make a loud whooshing sound. This is some kind of "heavy duty for trucks and SUVs" thing so maybe it's supposed to be louder. I don't know. Maybe it needs a wear-in period or something.

Reply to
Ulysses

That's what I'm thinking. It will either "wear in" or you'll have "gotten used to it" and either way problem solved!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well I gather so far nobody seems to think there's anything wrong with it so I guess I'll shut up and get onto other more exciting problems ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

BTW did you ever get your Explorer? I got a good deal on a '97 4WD. I'm still keeping the '91 and '92 as long as they are repairable.

Reply to
Ulysses

I'm getting close. I've passed on some good ones because I didn't like the color. I started dragging my feet when gas hit $3/gal too. That seems to be motivating more people to sell. I have my eye on this 98

4D, 4WD:
That's at my upper limit, $6K. I'm hoping they drop their asking price. Good chance that'll happen.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Personally I think that price is already reasonable if not very good, but heck, if you can get it for less...

I wouldn't wait for them to lower the price, I'd just offer less before someone else grabs it.

I bought a '97 LTX with Control Trac 4WD, the color I wanted, power doors and windows, tilt, cruise, no CD but casette (I never even turn the things on anyway but the clock is nice to have), 4.0 V6 EFI, four wheel disc brakes, no sunroof (don't really like em), some of those damn air bags, and

97,000 miles. The thing looks great and I got it from a Ford dealer for just under $5000. I would have liked leather but was more concerned with getting the right engine and most of em seem to have the SOHC. I'm pretty sure I can keep this thing going for another 200,000 miles. I know you don't like dealers but on mine they replaced the brake pads, changed the oil, changed the coolant, changed the air filter, apparently charged the AC (very cold), cleaned it thoroughly, got the smog test, took the stuff to the DMV, and most likely set the engine to factory specs. They may have done other things that I have not investigated quite yet. BTW they had several used Explorers to choose from at this dealer. I got the impression they had been there for a while too.

I have not made up my mind yet if I like the Control Trac or not. I think I prefer having complete control over 4WD but it will go up a steep, loose dirt hill without having to push any buttons or turning any knobs etc. I'm also not so sure about the torsion bar suspension--sounds like sports car stuff to me--so we'll just have to see when the road gets muddy. It does feel more responsive than the old Explorers which could be an advantage offroad.

BTW I had to have a white one cause my other two are red and blue ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

Sounds like you got a good deal! White is my first choice too- cool in hot weather, easy to touch up the paint, safer at night.

The local dealers are doing parking lot sales, one just blocks from my house, so I did test drive a 96. I verified that I fit comfortably. I'm

6'5", which is why I settled on getting an Explorer- they're roomy. They wouldn't go below $6400 for that 96, and it was pretty rusty underneath, so I passed. I was impressed by how clean they got it, though. It looked like new under the hood. Close inspection revealed that they had even touched up the paint *under the hood* and painted the wheel wells black!

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Anyone recall the old days when they used to spray varnish of some kind all over the entire engine and engine compartment to make everything glisten.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If it's a dealer make them show you the CarFax (or similar) report. Personally I would hesitate to buy a car that came from anywhere besides the southwest due to the rust problems they seem to have everywhere else. It will also tell you if it was a rental or had any wrecks etc.

I forgot to mention that the '97 I just bought came with Michelin LTX M/S tires already on it with about 75-80% of the tread left! That's worth around $500 right there. In case you are not familiar with the choices on Explorer tires these Michelins are the number one choice of about 9 out of

10 Explorer owners for overall use including mud and snow.

The other nice thing about buying from a Ford dealer was I drove off with the car and did not have to give them as much as one cent. :-) Normally I would pay cash for a car of this amount but lately everyone has been managing to get all my cash from me (I'm putting a house on 20 acres).

Reply to
Ulysses

I decided to buy this one:

He just smogged it and is delivering it tomorrow.

It needs some work, but I like to play with a new toy anyway. It has manual hubs and transmission, runs OK. Needs the radius arm bushings and the transmission plugs for sure, and I'll go thru the brakes. Needs fluid changes and rear shocks.

Thanks to all for the tips.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

You seem to be an extremely well-informed guy but I just wanted to mention just in case that there are two ways to replace the radius arm bushings--the hard way and the not-quite-as-hard way.

Reply to
Ulysses

I missed this post and now the picture of your "new" Explorer is gone. Drat.

Reply to
Ulysses

I decided not to buy that one- I found more problems that needed fixing, and decided to spend more and get one that didn't need so much work. I'm getting lazier and lazier.

I got a '94 with manual transmission in Cayman green. $2300, and they had to put $700 into it to get it to smog.

That '92 is still for sale, and he dropped the price to $1400. He seems pretty honest, he listed the additional problems I came up with in his new ad:

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I need to remember to keep watching old threads. I just saw this today (10/5)

Hey, it looks real good and it's amazing you could get something so nice for so little money. It looks like a good color for dirt roads too!

How do you feel about running boards for offroad/dirt roads? I'd think they get in the way sometimes but I've never had any on mine. I even took my mudflaps off cause they seemed to be dragging in the mud. I also had to move my front license plate up higher cause it kept getting knocked off in dips. On my '92 I removed the mud deflector under the front bumper because it also seems like it might be dragging in the mud. OTOH it may also be deflecting the mud so I guess I'll have to make a determination this winter ;-)

The County came along this summer and put twice as much fill on the road as they did last year. Last year nearly everyone got stuck. I'm seriously considering raising my '91 a couple of inches even though it goes against everything I believe about stability and rollovers etc. No more driving sideways on steep hillsides for that car if I do it.

If the mud is as bad as I'm expecting I may also add an outboard motor.

Reply to
Ulysses