Fan on 95 325is

Do a search in this news group for "triflo" or "tri-flow"

As for my thoughts, I really don't know much about the product except that I like it. I know I love the new sound it makes and the car feels stronger. It also looks much cooler. My exhaust has a about a 4 inch diameter, oval shaped. Its pretty loud at low rpm's but not obtrusive, although I guess that depends on what loud is to you...

I got it from bavarian autosports. It was recommended to me by another BMW enthusiast.

Reply to
madloof72

Thanks

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Ok the worst possible thing has happened to what I thought was a successful engine fan replacement. The water pump was bad and it happened again. It caused the fan to wobble, hit the shroud, break into pieces, ruin the radiator and the fan clutch. I am now stuck with an 1100$ bill from my mechanic.

Next time I will just take the car to the mechanic, where he would have found the bad pump as well as fixing the fan. So Instead of saving 100 I'm paying 1100$

Merry Christmas and make sure you know what you are doing if you are working on your car yourself.

Reply to
madloof72

First, how do you know that the water pump caused this? Maybe the new fan you bought was defective. I've never known a water pump to cause premature fan blade failure, though I suppose it is possible...

Secondly, what makes you think that the pro-mechanic would have noticed that the pump bearing was shot? He would have probably just replaced the fan blade too. Afterall, they are known to occasionally fail spontaneously. So, as long as the pump was not leaking, making noise or wobbling around I seriously doubt they would have noticed it either. You did look at the fan while the engine was running after you made the repair, right?

Third, this catastrophic failure (causing the damage to the rad) could have happened on the first fan. It's just a matter of luck (or lack of it).

Fourth, it is not very likely that a fragmenting fan blade would destroy a fan clutch. It sounds like the mechanic you have now consulted may be taking you for a little "guilt" ride. Like, "Why didn't you come to me to begin with..." So now you're going to pay.

Fifth, you could replace these parts yourself and it would be nowhere near $1100.

...but if you don't feel up to it, by all means seek professional help.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

My trusty mechanic, who has been cheaper than any other guy in the area for the past 5 years, told me that if I had brought it to him the first time the fan blade broke, he would have asked the question "why?" These things don't just break out of nowhere unless something causes it like an animal living in there or something. The answer to the question would have been the failing bearings in the water pump, therefore saving me about 800$.

You live and learn is the way I'm looking at this one. I should have asked the same question. I don't know how to do engine work. Just like I am not a doctor.

You are right, it was somewhat unlucky... Oh well, what's done is done.

Reply to
madloof72