How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

I reckon many base their dislike of autos on memories of a three (or even two) speed one that spent most of its time churning the torque convertor. Modern multi speed ones are a totally different device. Indeed my first 5 speed ZF auto on an E34 was actually more economical at cruise than the manual due to the TC lock and higher gearing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am sure you're right. I would think in general that there is little practical difference in fuel consumption between manual and automatic, with other factors being more important, such as degree of lead-footedness.

Even fairly bog-standard cars have 5 or 6-speed boxes, e.g. the Ford Mondeo (of Europe, for those of an eastern Atlantic persuasion) that I hired the other day. FWIW approx 2 l td. Pretty good, even with 4 people in the car.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Sorry, I meant 'western Atlantic'; European Fords are reputedly not the same as those produced in North America, and I don't just mean cosmetic differences.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling