How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

I drive the shit out of my '03 330, it is fantastic.
I had a 540 before, so it seems slow to me but is very torqey and smooth. Use that would be "abuse" to most cars seems to be desired by this engine...
push it hard and it feels best. Cruises beautifully at 140-170 kph, revs are high, but smooth and powerful.
I have to add a litre of oil every now and then between changes tho... The only thing about my e46 I dislike is the 5 speed... I should have waited for the next year 6 speed tranny :(

Anyone else get a valve lifter ticking in the E90 I6 (2007 330), when engine is cold?
Goes away after 5 min or so.
Thanks,
Mike

Sticky lifter - there is some gunk on the market to flush the crap out of lifter galleries and other small orifices.
Worked on my step daughters 318i and my friends 528 so should work on the 330.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor