87 1500 engine swap

Hi folks, My neighbor is retired and builds small block Chevy motors for a lot of people in the area. They usually go into 60s-early 80s vehicles. He asked me if I would swap one of his 350s into an 87 1500 pickup. It would be most likely a 70s block, mild cam, performer intake, and Edelbrock\Carter 4bbl carb. The truck currently has a 305 with TBI. The customer specificly wants to delete the TBI for a carb. (Not what I would do, but it's not my truck). I haven't seen the truck so I'm wondering what problems I may get into if I take this on. EPA issues aside,Here are my thoughts so far:

  1. Engine should bolt in, no problem as far as motor mounts, trans mounting,flex plate, etc.

  1. Ignition. HEI, not a problem unless vehicle has a tach (doubtful), then a little rewiring.

  2. Fuel delivery, now things get a little sticky. I will have to get rid of the in tank fuel pump and fabricate a pickup tube. Or can I use the in tank pump with a pressure regulator and some rewiring of the pump circuit?

  1. Torque converter lockup. I'm hoping the truck has a TH350 but I think it will likely have a 700R4. Wire the circuit like an earlier carb'd vehicle: power, through a brake switch, through lockup solenoid, through pressure switch to ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time.

  2. Accessory train. I'm assuming a serpentine system. Will the accessories bolt to the older block? This will probably be the determining factor as far as taking on the procect or not.

  1. A\C.(if equipped) This should be a CCOT system, just a little rewiring.

  2. Cruise control(if equipped) ??? Is it tied into the ECM or stand alone?

  1. Cooling system. May need larger radiator? If the current motor is whipped it probably needs a new one anyway.

Thats all I've got. I'm open to suggestions, corrections, opinions, recommendations, etc. I was a Ford Tech for many years so I can do the job. I just don't have the GM experience to know what will work or not work. Kind of like Doc with his Ford fuel injector problem.(I just hope I get a friendlier response than he did over there).

Any input appreciated, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

different flex plate

keep the TBI

86 was last year for the TH-350

just keep the ECM and TBI

like I keep saying....keep the ECM and TBI

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Tom, shouldn't be too hard of a swap. I don't know what emissions laws you have in your area of the world, but around here in central Illinois we don't have any testing BS.

  1. The motor will bolt in and everything should bolt up to it. The engines should be cosmetically identical.

  1. If your HEI distributor is computer controlled, then you will have to find one with vaccum advance. If it has a tach, it will be an aftermarket one. Just plug the tach wire into the TACH terminal (right next to the power feed terminal).

  2. As far as fuel delivery goes, I believe you can get an older style sending unit and install that in the existing tank. '87 model year had both TBI and carb as factory options, so I would just get one for an '87 with carb. I wouldn't use the in-tank fuel pump... they are a pain in the ass to replace. It's so much easier to replace the engine-mounted mechanical style pumps.
  3. I believe your description sounds correct... I haven't converted any vehicles with lockup, so that's not somthing I'm that familliar with.

  1. This belt system has a serpentine belt on the alternator and V-belts on everything else. It should all bolt up.

  2. A/C will all work... no computer controls.

  1. I believe these still used vaccum opperated cruise control... I know the 1986's did.

  2. Radiator should be a 2 or 3 core. More that enough capacity. Unless he wants to use it for alot of towning, in which case I'd find a 4-core for it.

Good luck!

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

and starter.

Agreed, both for better power, response, and MPG

Shouldn't be any rewiring for AC when swapping out the motor.

Dont NEED one if you already have a V-8 If you have the cash go for an aluminum 4 core. If not, see if the radiator shop stocks a 4 core for your truck (it may have one anyway)

I did a 305 to 350 swap in a 1987 Monte Carlo, and kept the computer and HEI and all that stuff. We used a 1974 block with 883(casting number) big valve heads. The only thing I changed for sure was the flywheel, and starter. Everything else was good to go.

I know I will be replacing my V-6 with a 350 down the road, and I will have my work cut out for me.

Reply to
Eightupman

TranSurgeon wrote: keep the TBI

Like I said, I would keep the TBI, the customer want's to ditch the TBI. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

what's his problem ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Probably an old schooler who wants to tune his own carb. Not familiar with the TBI system perhaps?

Reply to
Eightupman

Tony Kimmell wrote: Tony, Thanks for your reply.

The customer lives in a county that doesn't have emissions testing, although per EPA, tampering is another issue. I'm not a shop so I'm don't give a s***.

Someone said the flex plate and starter would be different? Would the ones for the old motor work or would there be balanbe issues with the flex plate? Maybe ue the older flex plate?

The new motor has an older standard HEI distributor.

I didn't know a non-pump sender was available. In my experience (Ford) senders for FI vehicles had a much larger tank flange. I don't believe Ford ever offered carb and TBI (CFI) in the same year.

Years ago I worked in a tranny shop. The wiring varied from different vehicles and we would have to set it up on "shelf" units when we installed them. I think what I described was the very basic system used on the first TCC trannys.

I was worried about this. I know GM changed a lot of things on the SBC motors around that time. (When they went to the motors with 2 bolts holding the valve covers). I don't know when they made the changes or what they were. I just heard they were "different".

Are you sure the compressor relay ground and low pressure switch arent tied into the PCM?

Cool. Back then some of the Ford systems were integrated into the PCM and others were stand alone.

I can't think of a reason for the radiators to be different, but like I said. It probably needs a new one anyway. 4 row.

Thanks Tony. This is exactly the kind if info I was looking for.

Best regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Thanks for the replies, General concensus is to keep the TBI. If it were MY truck, I would. I really don't want to get into the mods it would take to put a carburated motor in this truck, but if it is doable without a lot of screwing around I'll take the job. I need the money and the more mods there are the more he will have to pay. That is, until I reach my PITA limit, then I will turn down the job. It would be easier if I could convince him to keep the TBI. I know from experience that almost no engine mods will improve performance on Ford CFI (their version of TBI)controlled vehicles, and very few CFI system mods are effective. Basically the system just acts jike it's the old stock motor. Most guys change to MPFI and then make engine mods. Are there any things that can be done to make a TBI system effective with engine modifications (a little more cam, better heads, etc). We're not talking race motor, just something with a little more oomph. This is exactly what I meant by not knowing what will or not work on GM vehicles. Thanks for the input Guys. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I have no idea what his problem is. He's my neighbors customer, I've never met him. I'm just the guy that was asked to do the job. As I asked in another post, Can the TBI system respond to engine modifications, ie: a little more cam, better heads, etc? I'm familiar with Ford CFI, with which engine mods are useless. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I also heard that you can put a plate under the TBI giving the intake a small tunnel ram effect, allowing faster movement of air. I read it adds a few HP and does not mess with the computer as it does nothing more than moves air a greater distance giving it more velocity. I have not yet used one so can't say for sure it will work on your application.

Reply to
Eightupman

The customer probably doesn't want to have to chase around electrical/sensor/computer problems and all the other stupid BS that goes with computerizing ANYTHING... kinda like I've had to do on EVERY computerized vehicle I've ever owned.

I wouldn't convert a TBI setup to carb simply because of the resale aspect of it... although, I wouldn't try to make any serious performance mods with TBI either. I know guys who have, but they went through hell and high water to get the damn computer chip and injectors setup right. TBI is not very "plug and play" friendly.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

better heads are definately doable.. any post '86-95 head, beit from a corvette,or the aftermarket would be an improvement. the TBI heads were absolutely horrible. you can gain in the 30-40HP range by swapping in a set of Vortec (post '96) heads ($500 brand new) with a GM performance parts TBI for Vortec intake (~$300) manifold. this combo takes a bit of work to get the EGR system to work, but GM lists the part #'s needed.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Like I said in another post... TBI engines are a nightmare to do performance mods on. You can get comparable performance from a well setup carb, and there's less computer/electronic BS to deal with.

What can I say... I like it simple.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I dropped a fuel injection pump from a 90 suburban into an 81 blazer. The flange is identical. All you need to do is make sure the float is the same length and travel as the old unit. If you get one from a bigger tank, you can just rebend the wire till the float ends up in the same place, which is what I did. Stick with one from a pickup truck in your case, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Reply to
John Alt