Can I fit a 406 2000cc turbo engine in my Pug 205 ?

Can i fit a 406 2000cc petrol turbo engine + gear box to the 205 ?

My Mechanic tells me it will fit and he can do it. He is pretty good at his work and not that I doubt im but just want to find out if anyone has thought of it or tried it?

What are the things I will need to change or upgrade in order to make this work?

thanks

Reply to
ronnyadonis

"ronnyadonis" wrote: > Can i fit a 406 2000cc petrol turbo engine + gear box to the > 205 ? > > My Mechanic tells me it will fit and he can do it. > He is pretty good at his work and not that I doubt im but just > want to find out if anyone has thought of it or tried it? > > What are the things I will need to change or upgrade in order > to make this work? > > > thanks

There seems to be someone on this site selling a 205 with that engine.

I?d have thought that you?ll wear through bearings etc very quickly and I?ve heard that when you do things like this you might have to strengthening seat fixings etc. The 309 GTi rear axle is apparently more robust so you might want to look into fitting that, plus you?ll want the brakes and suspension off something like a 306 GTi 6. I?d be a bit sceptical about fitting the gearbox because the 306 GTi 6 apparently had to be designed differently to the other 306s to fit the

6 speed gearbox. This might make the front of the car far more heavy than it should be so it could effect your handling and rear traction. Driveshafts might be a problem but I don?t know enough aout them to be sure.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead, but I?d seriously think about whether you really want to do this because it could end up costing a fortune and being more trouble than it?s worth. If you?ve got the money you could try and find a 205 maxi or T16.

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

T16 is a bit of luck to find one... Here it's usually sold around 30kEUR (+/- £20k), although I've heard of a guy which got one @ 3500EUR. Damn I felt sick when I've heard that !

It fits, guys @

even fit the XU10J4TE engine in a 205 bay, they say it's a bit of a straight swap. I do believe that, but I guess there is not many room after that. I'd even say a 12mm spanner cannot be lost into the bay :-)

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Why bother with this engine? Its a 8 valve low pressure turbo that is pretty dire.

A 1.9 MI16 or 2.0 litre GTI 6 lump would be much better & they fit easily.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

"Streltsky" wrote: > There seems to be someone on this site selling a 205 with that > engine. >

> > I'd have thought that you'll wear through bearings etc very > quickly and I've heard that when you do things like this you > might have to strengthening seat fixings etc. The 309 GTi rear > axle is apparently more robust so you might want to look into > fitting that, plus you'll want the brakes and suspension off > something like a 306 GTi 6. > I'd be a bit sceptical about fitting the gearbox because the > 306 GTi 6 apparently had to be designed differently to the > other 306s to fit the 6 speed gearbox. This might make the > front of the car far more heavy than it should be so it could > effect your handling and rear traction. Driveshafts might be a > problem but I don't know enough aout them to be sure. > > Good luck if you decide to go ahead, but I'd seriously think > about whether you really want to do this because it could end > up costing a fortune and being more trouble than it's worth. > If you've got the money you could try and find a 205 maxi or > T16.

So what would you advice me to do if I wish to gain more power? Turbo power!

Which engine can I opt for or what else can I do to gain more. What do I need to change to my current car.

I already fitted Gti parts and made lots of modifications to my current engine, 1360cc Pug GR. We do small car tests and races in my country and my car beats 1500cc cars fuel injection. yet Im on carb. Not bad I?d say.

It?s going to be my project car and I have a custom body kit being built for it. So I want it to come out with nice looks and power. The little monster !

Any advice or contacts would be very appreciated.

Reply to
ronnyadonis

"G.T" wrote: > Hi, > > > If you've got the money you could try and find a 205 maxi or > T16. > T16 is a bit of luck to find one... Here it's usually sold > around 30kEUR > (+/- £20k), although I've heard of a guy which got one @ > 3500EUR. Damn I > felt sick when I've heard that ! > > It fits, guys @

even fit the XU10J4TE engine in > a 205 bay, > they say it's a bit of a straight swap. I do believe that, but > I guess there > is not many room after that. I'd even say a 12mm spanner > cannot be lost into > the bay :-) > > HTH, > G.T > snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr > 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :

I just meant not to take it on lightly.

Good luck with it, sounds like a good project. You could always try and buy a 405 T16 (which are around £5-7K apparently) and take out the engine, but it?s probably very similar to the 406 turbo engine anyway, GT will probably know.

I?m very slowly preparing my 205 to recieve a larger engine, changing parts for high spec ones as they break (it?s done 170k now so there?s not much that doesn?t need changing). I?m comtemplating a 1.9TDI from a 306 but will probably not bother for a while.

Anyone know the mpg, top speed etc for a 306 mkI 1.9TDI engine?

Reply to
Streltsky

406 Turbo uses the 2.0 8v 120bhp lump, with a blower bolted on. 405 T16 uses the 2.0 16v 155bhp Mi16 lump, with a blower bolted on.

They're very different - T16 makes 220bhp with it's crazy variable-vane blower etc.

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

Yup, engine name XU10J4TE, plate code RGZ, 1998cc, 16v twin cam (of course), intercooler. The name of the blower is VAT25 from Garrett's, variable geometry turbocharger (no clue about max pressure). EFI provided by Marelli, IIRC. Triming level 5, runs on both RON95 & 98 (being cat'd I'd take 95). The system reports no T16 for UK.

Damn the T16 is definitively a nice second choice which would cause me an hesitation with the 406Coupé !

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"Lee Power via CarKB.com" wrote: > Why bother with this engine? Its a 8 valve low pressure turbo > that is > pretty dire. > > A 1.9 MI16 or 2.0 litre GTI 6 lump would be much better & they > fit easily. > > -- > Message posted via

You could try and get in touch with the company which originally made the turbo for the T16s (doubt it?s peugeot) and try and fit a Mi16 with the T16 turbo, but I don?t know enough to say what you?d need other than making oil ports for the turbo. Garret or KKK (no not the klan) probably make a turbo that could be fitted to an Mi16 engine. Apparently the original T16 (200bhp) could get over 300BHP on petrol (the 400bhp group b?s worked on a hybrid fuel) showing that they responded well to tuning but I?ve heard that the GTi engines don?t respond well unless you re-model the head etc; where the Mi16s fit in all that I don?t know. (sorry if all this is wrong, it?s just what I pick up on the net) If you don?t want the hassle of converting an engine then I?d stick with an Mi16, GTi 6 or the 2000c turbo you originally wanted. Could you not make the 2000c turbo 16 valve? I?ve come across plenty of people online who?ve made their 8V into 16V so it can?t be that difficult surely? Plus if you add an intercooler and fiddle with fuel setting etc (based on diesels, don?t know much about petrols :) ) you should get good results :? Sorry for waffling, beer Would like to know if any of this makes sense as I?m likely to try something similar if I get the money.

Reply to
Streltsky

"Nom" wrote: > Streltsky wrote: > > "G.T" wrote: >  >> Hi, >  >>

Guys I think Ive located a 306 GTi-6 ... Can it fit in my 205 ? Is it better performance than the 2000cc turbo from 406 I originally wanted to get ?

whats involved in it.

Thanks for advice...

Reply to
ronnyadonis

"ronnyadonis" wrote: > Guys I think Ive located a 306 GTi-6 ... > Can it fit in my 205 ? > Is it better performance than the 2000cc turbo from 406 I > originally wanted to get ? > > whats involved in it. > > Thanks for advice...

Guys I think Ive located a 306 GTi-6 ... Can it fit in my 205 ? Is it better performance than the 2000cc turbo from 406 I originally wanted to get ?

Apparently it?s a 16 valve, so on that front it should be better but I don?t know what effect the turbo has. If it?s possible to fit a turbo the 205 T16 was fitted with a Garret formula 1 turbo charger so you might be able to get one off Garret, but I expect they cost a small fortune. Anyway i?d expect you can tune up the engine on it?s own to get it performing and sounding great (although it already does).

As to fitting it I?d expect you can, but the gearbox might be a problem.

Reply to
Streltsky

"Streltsky" wrote: > [color=red:77b3df89d0]Guys I think Ive located a 306 GTi-6 ... > > Can it fit in my 205 ? > Is it better performance than the 2000cc turbo from 406 I > originally wanted to get ? [/color:77b3df89d0] > > Apparently it's a 16 valve, so on that front it should be > better but I don't know what effect the turbo has. If it's > possible to fit a turbo the 205 T16 was fitted with a Garret > formula 1 turbo charger so you might be able to get one off > Garret, but I expect they cost a small fortune. Anyway i'd > expect you can tune up the engine on it's own to get it > performing and sounding great (although it already does). > > As to fitting it I'd expect you can, but the gearbox might be > a problem.

Actually, just found someone who has fitted one at

so yes it will almostdefinitely fit, but you could phone them to check.

Reply to
Streltsky

They did import a few T16s to the UK officially, but they were all left-hand-drive. Can't remember how many off the top of my head, but it was something like 7 :)

Reply to
Nom

Yes.

A little. GTi6 lump makes 167bhp, 2.0 Turbo from 406 makes 150bhp.

Go join the Peugeot Clubs - lots of people have done the conversion before.

Reply to
Nom

Well there's a bit more to it than that. As well as fitting the blower itself, you need to lower the engine's compression ratio, and fit stronger pistons and rods etc. Making your own T16 engine would be a major undertaking.

Tuning a Turbo car is very different to tuning a normally-aspirated car. It's not that they responded well as such, it's just that the boost can be increased quite a lot before they burst.

200bhp is very easily achievable from both the 167bhp GTi6 and 165bhp Mi16 lumps.
More is available if you have the money.

The conversion is only simple if a 16v head exists to fit straight onto your

8v block. I'm pretty sure the 2.0 8v is a different engine to the 2.0 16v, so it probably wouldn't fit ?
Reply to
Nom

Hi,

And this was official import... Damn, driving a LHD in UK must be scary !

So, almost nothing :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Not sure the 400HP was running on hybrid fuel. Race fuel, OK, else... The 400HP limit was reached (and took over) with many mods (Evo2), like new turbo (Garett, previously a KKK), bigger intercooler. This Evo2 even delivered 550HP for Pikes Peak '87. And yes, without this borken securing clip, Vatanen would have won the race. BTW, the 205T16 engine was a XU8T, alloy lump, K-Jetronic fuel injection, when the 405T16 had the XU10J4TE, cast iron lump & Marrelli electronic fuel injection. Really not the same !

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"G.T" wrote: > Hi, > > > other than making oil ports for the turbo. Garret or KKK (no > not the > > klan) probably make a turbo that could be fitted to an Mi16 > engine. > > Apparently the original T16 (200bhp) could get over 300BHP > on petrol > > (the 400bhp group b's worked on a hybrid fuel) showing that > they > Not sure the 400HP was running on hybrid fuel. Race fuel, OK, > else... > The 400HP limit was reached (and took over) with many mods > (Evo2), like new > turbo (Garett, previously a KKK), bigger intercooler. > This Evo2 even delivered 550HP for Pikes Peak '87. And yes, > without this > borken securing clip, Vatanen would have won the race. > BTW, the 205T16 engine was a XU8T, alloy lump, K-Jetronic fuel > injection, > when the 405T16 had the XU10J4TE, cast iron lump & Marrelli > electronic fuel > injection. Really not the same ! > > Regards, > G.T > snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr > 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :

Just regurgitating what I?ve read on the net, should know better really.

405 T16 would still be a fantastic engine to get. Should stop posting on this subject cos it?s miles out of my depth.
Reply to
Streltsky

Hi,

Errr, IMO the whole car must be fantastic to get & drive :-)

Nope, I can tell you I wrote many silly things here in the past (I guess Nom, Mindwipe and all guys which are here for a while could confirm this) :-)

Cheers, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

We've all done it :)