Instrument cluster - if I replace it, will my mileage be the same? E36 1997 BMW 318ic

Wondering if I change my instrument cluster, will my mileage stay the same? I just want to make sure it will so there are no issues in selling my car, thanks. The car is a 1997 BMW 318IC (E36 Model)

Reply to
jim_peat

probably not..........the replacement may have to be electronically doctored to match the original.

Reply to
StsLived

No. The new cluster will start counting milage from 0.

I had to do this on my 1997 E36 318i when I moved to the US (my spedometer didn't have MPH). The dealer provided a letter when they did the change that documents the milage on the old cluster at the time of removal. I keep that with all the rest of the documents in case I have to sell it in the future.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson

Ah, but the newer cars store the data in the ECU. I swapped out my E39 cluster and it didn't miss a thing.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

On Mon, 15 May 2006 16:14:48 -0500, "John Carrier" waffled on about something:

Maybe the newer ones do, but my '96 E36 certainly didn't. Mine had a complete instrument cluster failure early in it's life, so it got changed under warranty by a previous owner, but it sure makes for an interesting looking service book. :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy