98 Taurus Instrument Cluster Problem

Hello!

I've got a 1998 Taurus with rather low mileage (48K). It seems to have developed a problem with instrument cluster lights. About a month ago, the high-beam indicator in the cluster stopped working (the high beams work, but not the light behind the dash to tell me they're on). Around the same time, the parking-brake light stopped working on the cluster.

I just spent a few minutes checking fuses (pulled them ALL--under the steering wheel as well as in the engine compartment, just to make sure) and found one blown one--the cigar lighter. Replacing this fuse had no effect on the cluster lights.

I've got the feeling that the lights are blown behind the dash, but could it be something else? I just don't want to spend hours pulling my dash apart to change two light bulbs, only to find out that the problem lies elsewhere. Also, are these light bulbs something that an Autozone or NAPA would carry, or do I have to go to the dealer?

Thanks a ton!

Pete

p snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (remove the AT to send me an e-mail!)

Reply to