looking for 17" wheels for 540

anyone have a set of 17" x 8 and 17" x 9" rears?

20mm offset for a 5, 6 or 7 series??? M5 wheels would be nice, but any available wheels will be considered. I am in Canada but will pay shipping for the right set from anywhere!!!!
SharkmanBMW

Try eBay. Search for BMW OEM 17 INCH WHEELS and see what pops up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"SharkmanBMW" wrote

TireRack has some wheels that'll fit. They ship to Canada.

Unless you specifically wanted used...

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Your best bet will probably to buy new wheels from TireRack, one of the replica places or on eBay. If you buy used wheels you will pay almost as much as new and run the risk that the wheels are not true which makes them useless.

I know you do not want to buy from the US due to the tax structure in CA, but surely there are similar places that you can go up there and get a tire/wheel combo for around US$1000 (whatever that converts to these days). The biggest advantages in my mind is you know that you will get straight wheels that will come prebalanced and should have a warranty.

YMMV,

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Thanks for your advice... I checked out TireRack.com but they only have one model available in a staggered 17 x 8 / 17 x 9 size. I'm willing to chance getting a used set and get them refurbished locally. Does anyone have anything they want to part with?

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Just an additional bit of info. You should realize that the staggered size (wider rear ties/wheels) does *not* provide additional performance as one might otherwise imagine. Yes, if you have a 1000HP dragster engine you'll need a wider tire to get that power to the ground, but for road cars it's all about handling around corners and the modest ~300 hp our engines make will not be spinning the tires through 3 gears.

Putting wider rubber on the rear of a balanced car like a BMW only accentuates the over steer that is inherent in these cars. In most cases, going with the widest tire that can be fit in at all 4 corners is a better bet.

YMMV,

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I have a set of 17 x 8 and 17 x 9 now with 235 and 255/40/17 tires, but the wheels are in bad shape... i am used to the car as is and don't know if I can go with 17 x 8 all round... kinda wimpy on the rear after having the 9"! I can get a set of replica 17x8 BMW lookalike fairly cheap, but was not sure about having the 8" all round.......

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Fred, I agree so long as your comments are directed at the 540. HOWEVER, I put a set of M5 staggered rims/tyres on my 540 and the handling was VASTLY improved. Nothing to do with spinning the tyres, just a great "glued to the road" feel.

My M5 WILL spin the tyres though 4 gears, and under hard driving the DSC will come on in 5th too, (depending on road conditions), but I could be mistaken.

Reply to
tech27

staggered

performance

Fred, I think you meant to say UNDERSTEER and not OVERSTEER. In spite of the car's weight balance, RWD BMWs tend to have inherent understeer (as a good point). As you probably know, it has to do with slip angles. Staggered wheels will generally increase understeer but you can control the inherent amount by careful choice of tires.

In most

I have both kinds in 17-inch wheels with OEM-recommended tire sizes with my E39 540 and I must agree with Tech27 - the staggered set feels much better overall because the car feels much more planted. Take a couple of test drives Fred; and you'll know what we mean.

The equal-width set feels lighter but does not inspire as much confidence as the staggered set. I suspect much has to do with the added understeer and my choice of tires as well as the reduced amount of lean. I just dial in a bit more steering effort or let out a bit of throttle depending on conditions and the car feels very much in my control while retaining a very hefty but powerful feel. With the non-staggered set, the car feels less engaging and you feel you are just letting the tires do the driving - you don't feel as connected.

What is definitely compromised by a staggered set is traction in the wet or even worse, icy roads. I also can't say if I am going any faster in a staggered set (under dry conditions) but it does feel unquestionably nicer - but I pick my tires very carefully. Some tires do not work well in staggered configuration.

BTW, if you use very wide tires in front you will lose steering feel and the steering wheel will also no longer self-return as you round the corner - you'll have to crank it yourself. IME, cars with very wide front tires have crappy steering feedback. On some road surfaces the car will also tramline very badly. IMO, it is better to stagger if you want wide tires.

Reply to
Michael Low

Yes, my mistake. You are exactly right, of course, and in fact that is what I *meant* to say had I actually engaged my brain before typing. Thanks for the correction.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Try eBay for replacement rims. Personally, I'd avoid the replicas and stick with the factory rims, but that's just me I suppose.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So, your typing finger has a mind of it's own?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes. Actually, both of them. I'm a two finger typer... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

somebody must have a set of oem 5 series wheels... 17" staggered set! Make some cash, show me what you have!!! sharkmanbmw at hotmail .dot. com

Reply to
SharkmanBMW