Re: E36 323i timing chain rattle

> Have you checked the drive belt (fan and AC) idler pulleys?

> > > The belts where changed a little while ago, but I would be surprised if > they could make that sort of noise with a rubber belt, unless there is > actually stuff floating around inside them, but then it would happen at > all temperatures.

It's not the belt that makes the noise but the idler pulley bearings. Does sound rather like timing chain problems - and is a very common failing on this engine.

My feeling was that because its temp related it likley to be something > to do with oil and component wear. Anythings possible I suppose.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)