Re: World Affairs 101 Test

>OK, you can go back to sleep now. Don't let the bombs wake you up.

This is not our war. Lots and lots of people die every day. The few that get nailed by extremist events are so small a percentage it doesn't even matter. They're just more newsworthy in that they sell papers and tv ads.

Therw are appropriate newsgroups to discuss this and active discussions on this topic have been going on there for decades.

But this is not one of them.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Apparently, you don't read the newspapers much, eh?

That's about what a lot of folks said back in the late 1930s.

Reply to
David Z

I watch the beeb everu day. I know what goes on.

People die in car accidents and of disease eevry day. 36 people died in a ferry accident yesterday. None of this is "newsworthy" and they're just as senseless of a death. There are wars, famine, poverty, pestilence and suffering all over the plalet, but it's best not to fixare on any one squabble and it certainly has no place here.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The second sentence doesn't follow from the first.

they're

pestilence

And you think that given the magnitude of the plot recently uncovered, we needn't concern ourselves? You think it's no different that some accident at sea? Is that what you get from watching the beeb?

Then why do you keep replying?

Reply to
David Z

I know a few things and over the years have got many calls from reporters from technology magazines. They alwsys send the story in here forst for technical vetting as not to appear foolish. When a very prestigous newspaper interviewed me they would not and got it dead wrong - backwards and I've begun to notice a majordisconnect between what happens and what shows up in newspapers. The lack of critical thinking is appalling.

That that the facts that the alleged explosve was impossible to make on a plane and the daming evidence was obtained during torture the only certaintly is it'll increase funding to the wonks that promulgate this fear, uncertainty and doubt.

So redirect it someplace else as stated. Is this a trick question?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

uncovered,

The issue is not whether this one idea is feasible, but the magnitude of the endeavor. If they keep trying, they're bound to succeed eventually. Especially, if we're complacent about it.

Agreed.

Yes.

Reply to
David Z

Now that we know the magnitude of the project to blow up 10 airplanes over the Atlantic, I doubt that Al Queda would have put all that money and effort into that mission unless they were extremely confident it would work. Many of Al Queda are very capable Western-educated engineers.

You can quote all the naysayers you want. There's a similar body of articles written before the Wright brothers that said it was impossible for man to fly, too.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." Lord Kelvin, ca.

1895, British mathematician and physicist.
Reply to
David Z