Replaced Coolant Reservoir...Still leaks!

Hi everyone, I have been experiencing some overheating problems on my 94 318 convertable. Last Thursday the reservoir next to the rad was replaced, and everything was pressure checked so I thought I was good to go. Over the weekend the car ran fine, however today while running to the grocery store the car started to overheat again! I got the car back to my house, let it cool down for a bit and after noticing that coolant was leaking, topped off the system with 50/50 coolant. After putting more coolant into the car I let the car run and noticed the temp started to climb. However when I drove the car around the block for a while, the temp started to drop to about half way. Its about 90 here today with a pretty high level of humidity. I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but i find it odd that coolant is seeping from the car and the temp drops to normal once the car has been driven around the block.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong???

Reply to
Utopian2630

You are describing what happens when the fan clutch is toast.

While the car is standing, the fan clutch is required to hook up the fan and move air past the radiator. When the car is moving, the fan clutch is no longer important because the car's moving down the road will force air over the radiator. When the air is moving, the temp drops, when the car stops moving the temp climbs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland