Sued my first BMW owner today

Mr. Paul Tran. The asshole in the BMW who slammed into the back of my car on the Washington Beltway a month ago. In roder to afford his spiify beamer, he went cheap on insurance. I'm sueing him for $8500 dollars for damages and the diminished value of my car.

The only silver lining in all of this is that there's one less entitled asshole driving around in a BMW today.

Reply to
Eric

"In roder"? That's only the beginning of this horrible post. You must have suffered a severe head injury, too. Sue for that as well, bozo. I hope your new Kia is better than this one!

Reply to
Earl

I saw that (roder) too, but gave him a pass on the keystroke error. I'm sure he meant to type "order".

How does anybody go cheap on insurance? I suppose the OP is suing for $8500 over and above the liability coverage that the other driver carries. That's fair. If the guy has minimum liability, and the damage exceeds the limits of the policy, then one would sue for the damage that is outside of the coverage. Oh well, shit happens.

Diminished value is a long shot, if there was any diminished value, then the car would be totalled or repaired. Either eay there is no longer any diminished value that was not already compensated for. If the car was worth enough that the minimum liability does not cover the damages, then the OP ought to be carrying Underinsured Motorist coverage so that the at-fault party pays to the limits of their policy and the OP's own policy picks up the remainder. Since the OP does not carry underinsured motorist coverage, then it seems to me that the idiot that is getting his insurance "on the cheap" is the OP himself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You self righteous prick! You wouldn't have been ass-holed if you hadn't had that ugly dude going down on you while you were driving! By the way, your case is baseless.

Reply to
Mr. Paul Tran

In Virginia, you can register a vehicle without any insurance at all. You pay a couple hundred dollar fee for the privilege of driving without insurance.

This means if you drive in Virginia or in the DC metropolitan area, you want to have uninsured driver's coverage on your vehicle. If you don't, and you are struck by an uninsured driver, you're basically out of luck. Suing them is usually futile since if they had any money they would have got insurance in the first place.

This is true, but you can never tell _what_ a judge is going to do. The courts sometimes will make decisions which do not appear to make sense. It's certainly worth asking for, but I agree it's a long shot.

This is most likely the case. And I say that as someone who drives BMWs with minimum liability insurance on them. I could probably buy another E28 every year for what comprehensive insurance would cost me on mine. I do, though, have uninsured driver's coverage.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You should carry liability coverage that is high enough to cover exposure to your assets. If you own a house, crashing your car can cause you to lose your home. If you have cash in the bank, the crash can deplete your bank account. You need enough liability insurance to protect your assets from exposure to siezure by an injured party, whether personal injury or property damage or any combination. If you do $35,000 in damage and have $25,000 in liability insurance, then you are exposed to $10,000 in damages that can be taken from your asset pool. If you have no assets and little insurance, then the injured party can come after you but you have nothing to give so they are screwed. But if you have significant assets and little insurance, then they can come after you, and your asset pool is emptied which leaves you screwed.

Liability coverage pays the damage you cause to another's property or person. Collision pays the damage you cause to your own car, and comprehensive pays for the key/other sharp object that gets pulled down the side of your car. Collision pays the damage you cause to your own stuff, comprehensive pays the damage to your stuff not caused by you AND not covered by somebody's liability coverage. In a No Fault State, throw all of these definitions out the window.

The other person's liability coverage, and your own collision or comp coverage, will pay to repair your car until the repair costs get to 70% of the value of the car -- a $3000 car will be capped at $2100 in repairs -- and then the car will be declared a total loss. If you want to undertake the repairs yourself, the insurance company will issue a check for 70% of the value they feel the car has, and you can elect to buy the car back for pennies on the dollar. In this case, the insurance company will cause a salvage title to be issued, and you buy a roll of bailing wire and a box of bubble gum, and do whatever repairs you can. The salvage title lets a future owner know that the car has been declared a total loss, and that repairs done at some point in its life were greater in cost than the value of the car justified.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Without regard to what was going on in his car, you hit him and you are liable for the damages you caused. That's the way it works. YOU are supposed to stay far enough away to not slam into somebody that stops.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Please do not feed the trolls.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Who would have thought that Jeff would be the only one not to get it?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway