Tape cassette stuck in player.

I have the regular BMW Business Radio/Cassette head unit in my 1999 318ti.

The tape plays fine, but when I press the eject button, the mechanism chitters and doesn't eject the tape. The display helpfully says "ERROR".

Is this a common problem? Is there a neat trick for getting a stuck tape out, or shall I have to remove the head unit to do it? If so, is it complex to reconnect?

Cheers,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Whysall

Removal is easy, but requires a special tool - a 5-sided allen wrench - to get it out.

Look closely at the front of the radio, there are small covers - one on each side - that can be pried open to expose the 5-sided allen screws. The special tool has a blade on it to pry the covers open.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It appears that the previous owner has managed to locate and lose these little covers. I wonder if I can get replacements?

Is it feasible to remove the tape without taking the head unit out of the console?

Thanks

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Whysall

I'm not sure. My guess is that if you had a spring hook, you could GENTLY pry the tape up and press the Eject button and see if you can help the mechanism a little, but beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You can actually just jam a strong-tipped small screw driver in there and undo the allen screws with it. They may get a bit gouged, but it's only a tape player, and when you get it out it's the perfect opportunity to put a CD or MP3 player in there.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve