warped side mirror after re-install

My driver's side mirror was clipped by a passing asshole and the mirror popped out. It's not cracked or damaged in any obvious way, nor is the housing. So after I re-installed it, by simply pressing it back into place so that all four clips seemed to be engaged, the mirror is now warped such that the view is wavy. I can see the distortion just by looking at the mirror, but it's really obvious if I move my head from side to side while looking at a fixed object in the mirror.

Is there a special way to re-install these mirrors to avoid this problem? The Bentley manual insn't any help. I saw the thread on "Drivers door mirror glass" last Sunday, but it didn't mention this problem. This is a '95 E36, if it makes a difference.

Tia,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Klein