Whats the difference?

I am going to look at a 2003 318i SE Step auto coupe and if i seach for the no. plate it comes back with a 318 CI SE AUTO ... cool but some ahve come back with the word sport instead of SE, are they the same SE and sport? Am I going to look at a sports model? and if so what the difference in the sports model? also what does step auto mean (i know its an auto)

Cheers

Billy

Reply to
Billy

Step is short for steptronic. Get a manual unless you live in traffic jams, much better.

Sport will have stiffer suspension, possibly larger alloys and maybe sports seats. Might also have a deeper front spoiler / body pack.

Reply to
John Burns

My last e46 was a 330i SE with sports pack, it was lovely car but the stiff suspension and bigger than normal wheels made it rather uncomfortable on our dreadful rural welsh roads. I did without the sports pack on my E90 (but did lower the suspension a bit)!

Enjoy you 318i SE if you get it.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

Billy wrote on 15 May 2006 06:32:11 -0700:

My understanding of SE (at least in the UK) is that it means it's got options fitted, but not a single full option pack. Eg. if you have the Sports package but drop one of the components, it's an SE. If you have Sports but add another option as well, it's an SE. You'd need to check with BMW what the set of options fitted when sold was.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

As far as I'm aware there are no longer any official "sport" models. The only ones I can think of are the e36 328i sport, e38 sport and the e46 clubsport. You often find peopel tyrying to sell a 328 as a "328i sport" when in fact it isn't offically a "sport" model.

SE means special equipment which may or may not include sports suspension. You really need to ask the dealer, then go find the real answer from someone who knows what they're talking about.

It used to be that all 3 series coupes had sport suspension but that may be different now.

Lastly, wouldn't a 318 sport be an oxymoron? [hides from the onslaught from the tiny engine brigade]

Reply to
adder1969

SE simply means special equipment. Meant to separate it from base models. But in the UK, some models are only available as SE anyway - the base models are save for taxi use etc in Germany.

Sports package - usually lowered suspension and larger wheels - is entirely separate from SE, although most will also have SE equipment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a loan car once, while BMW were messing up my car, and it was an "ES" - this is the base model but with parts *taken off* to make it less than base.

Incidentally I had to wait 45 minutes for the loan car while a parts chap went out shopping, it was dirty inside, only had 1/4 tank petrol, the tyres were underinflated and the road tax had expired. I'm on next week's "grumpy old men" by the way :-)

Reply to
adder1969

Sports pack include sports seats. Black interior headlining and black trim on the dash and doors. I think it is supposed to look like Carbon Fibre.

Reply to
cedcld

Thanks everyone ...

The car was a SE Step Auto with all the extras of a sport but not actually a sport ... which is cool with me :-) i pick it up Thurs. Only 14000 on the clock and 3 years old :-)

Q: What do i need to have those piercing blue head lights beams plus those rear lights that look like loads of little bulbs :-) ? Q: It has a 6cd changer but i want to be able to play mp3's or better still connect my ipod or usb stick ... what can bmw do for me or will i have to get another make off of the shelf.

Billy

Reply to
Billy

The sport is a model in its own right. And in the UK no such thing as a

318 Ci Sport. Only one listed is the 330Ci Sport.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)