where to look (GXE or SE)

I still don't know whether my newly purchased 95' Maxima is a GXE, GLE or SE. I didn't find the info in the manual or on the body. Someone please tell me where to look for.

JL

Reply to
Jianhua Li

GLE will have leather for sure. SE might have leather but will have a spoiler for sure.

Reply to
Goldfinger

Go to

I believe they have all the info there...

If I recall, GXE has no labeling and might have a spoiler (mine does).

SE has white gauges with black lettering.

GLE will probably have leather and be labeled GLE on the trunk.

I could be wrong, but that's what I believe are the cases for the 4th gen maximas.

Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti

SE has fog lights down on lower front bumper. Wheels are aluminum alloy, seven slanted spokes. Spoiler. White gauges. Also, there is a code is on the assembly tag on firewall. Line 3 is color and trim level. My SE has a G after the color code. Reasonable to presume that G means the SE level. Check the archives of this newsgroup or the other referenced site for verification. I can send you an image of the SE exterior if you wish. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded
Reply to
BeeP

If you have no labling on the rear of the car, then you have a GXE.

Reply to
HawkinsDar

Thank you all. Judging by your descriptions, I am sure it is a GXE.

Reply to
Jianhua Li

That's always been puzzling to me too. Everything on my car says I have an SE. Alloys, White gauges, fog lights, spoiler, NO markings however, and the insurance company says it's a GXE. Dean

Reply to
Dean A. Irwin

Mikeman's best tip is that 95 GXE base model had steel wheels with plastic covers. Others had alloys. Sounds as if Dean really has an SE. And, if the insurance co says its a base model, be grateful. Who knows, maybe the SE might cost more to insure. As I said in an earlier post, the trim code is on the metal plate on firewall, line three has color and trim codes. Check Maxima.org or these archives for verification. There was a post on this. My 95 has code C and mine is an SE. Bob

level badge on

Maxima had a

grille. The GLE

anniversary edition).

engine.

Reply to
BeeP

And how... I argued with my insurance company for years over such as issue "we pull it from the VIN" they said. In my case, they were rating my car as a higher level.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Not to belabor the point, but here is the real description of how to ID your 4th Gen trimline, credit maxima.org's FAQ. (My previous comments about reading line 3 of the ID tag were not exactly correct.)

"How do I know which trim level I am looking at?

The 4th gen Maxima was offered in three trim levels for the US market: GXE "The essential Maxima" SE "The Sportiest Maxima" GLE "The luxurious Maxima"

All trim levels have the same engine, so performance differences between them are pretty much nil. The best way to tell which trim level you have is to decode the VIN Plate. This is due to much part swapping and trim upgrading, even transmission swaps that can be done.

** TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE **: Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows: E = GXE G = GLE V = SE (maxima.org credit: Last edited by mzmtg on 03-08-2003 at 01:10 PM)"

Happy motoring. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded.

Reply to
BeeP

If I'm not mistaken, a couple of easy ways to tell a GXE from an SE (4th generation):

  • GXE side mirrors are the same color as the car, SE mirrors are black
  • GXE has one exhaust outlet, SE has two
  • SE has fog lights, GXE might have them

Of course, there are many others, but these are easy to catch.

Reply to
sg
95 SE has body color mirrors with some black around the rim. 95 SE has single, larger exhaust tip. Trust me, it is best to check the vehicle ID plate on the firewall. Bob 95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

Reply to
BeeP