Windshield cracked. Need repair advice.

Very sad... Brand new 2013 328i. Car parked in company parking lot, come back to find out medium sized crack on drivers side.

BMW says not under warranty. I have proof it was undamaged when parked.

Best way to go about this?

1) Go with insurance pay $500 for OEM part. *(~2k)

OR

2) Get it done from outside and risk rain sensor not working? (~1k)
Reply to
anand.r.bhatia

Do you know what a non sequitur is?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Call your insurance FIRST. Likely they cover the windshield since you have full coverage. Many insurance carriers will replace the windshield for free if you have the coverage. Basically, they waive the deductable if you have the policy that covers the loss.

The insurance company will put in the rain-sensing windshield.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Can it be repaired? I'm not sure what medium sized means but they can repair windshields in some cases rather that a replacement.

Reply to
Earl

Dealer said too big for repair.

Call your insurance FIRST. Likely they cover the windshield since you have full coverage. Many insurance carriers will replace the windshield for free if you have the coverage. Basically, they waive the deductable if you have the policy that covers the loss.

The insurance company will put in the rain-sensing windshield.

Insurance refused to waive deductible for comprehensive coverage deductible.

Only waivers are for collision with uninsured people. :(

Reply to
anand.r.bhatia

Then you are on the hook for the deductable to replace the windshield. The possible exception is if you can pin the fault on the operator of the garage, but I doubt you can do that.

The next time this happens, the story to insurance is that you were driving along on the freeway minding your own business and suddenly out of nowhere this crack appeared.

Pay the deductable and move on.

I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, and there are not many advantages of a People's Republic, but one of them is that they seem to think that driving around with a broken windshield might be problematic for my comrades, so insurance covers a windshield and the deductable is waived. If you do not have the coverage then you are on the hook for the entire load, but if you have coverage then they give a pass on the deductable. But, enough of my problems...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Same. CA. ALLSTATE agent didn't budge.

Reply to
anand.r.bhatia

The last time I had a windshield replaced, some kids were throwing rocks out of the playground of an apartment complex. The Auto Club made me pay $100, and I don't remember if I had comprehensive coverage on my 10-year old car or not. I must have had the coverage...

Personally, I found AAA to be the cheapest. It sounds like you need to shop your insurance.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Since I just got licensed in US 2 years back, AAA gives me outrageously high quotes (like even after I pay the deductible for Allstate I come out ahead)

Reply to
anand.r.bhatia