Need a part for an '07 Turbo WRX Impreza

My friend's dealer says that he can't get the part and they don't make it anymore and there's no aftermarket source. Can anyone help? The part is - a Fuel system part for a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX - 42063SA000.

Reply to
Wilson

A "fuel system part". No more details than that? Could be a fuel filter, fuel lines, connection hoses, fuel pump, evaporator, fuel filler neck, fuel filler door, gas tank, fuel gauge, fuel level sensor in tank, or any of a hundred, or more, parts involved in the fuel system.

An online search:

found:

The diagrams suck. I can't tell if that is a bracket to hold hoses or metal lines, or some flow block to which the fuel lines attach. From what I could see from an expanded view of one of the diagrams, looks to be a wiring mounting bracket: snaps onto the body somewhere and hold the wiring in place. The product titles below say "clamp".

You or the shop can fab a bracket, like take some tin snips to a metal sheet and perhaps rivet it in place after bending around the wire or fuel line? How about use some galvanized bandiron to bend around and screw down?

Reply to
VanguardLH

Thanks, but he's not going to do anything other than OEM or after market at the least. Unfortunately, I don't live near my friend and haven't seen any pictures or a sufficient description. From the pic on your link to subaru, it looks like this is an assembly of parts. Word from Subaru is you can't expect support on a 12 yr., actually a 10 yr. or older Subaru.

I'm thinking maybe somebody has one sitting in there back yard or something. This guy has been to the dealership from day one and now all they'll do is give him a $500 voucher towards a new one.

So, don't expect more than 10 yrs. from a Subaru, even if they've been treated like a cream puff. As I sit with my '09.

Reply to
Wilson

Friend says this is the correct diagram.

Wilson

I have a 1995 Outback that is easy to get parts for. I might not plan to get them from Subaru anyway. NAPA and other parts suppliers have had anything I needed. Online suppliers like Rock are also good.

Our "new" car is a 2002 Outback, bought in part because of their reliability and general ease of working on. And when I have to work on a problem that my ancient bones and joints don't enjoy, a local repair place does a great job and has no problem getting parts.

(I refuse to work on my daughter's Honda most of the time: they seem to be made to be very hard to work on! I remember the first time I replaced a clutch on a Civic, how badly it was designed for repair work. There may be exceptions, but I base that opinion on experiences working on several.) BobW

Reply to
Bob Wilson

If you go to the web page that I found and then start filtering by year and then model, style, and engine, yep, get to the same page.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Seems odd your friend is willing to crawl under his car to work on it but he won't fab some simple parts out of sheet metal. Since the bracket has some fangs on it to grip a lip in the body weld pleats, there might be enough width to the pleat to drill a hole and use a pop rivet to hold a folded over strip of sheet metal (rather than drilling a hole through the body from outside to inside).

Tell your friend to hunt down the nearby salvage yards. Some let customers come in and pull their own parts off the salvaged vehicles. One near me even has a web site that lists their inventory of cars, so I can see if they have one that is within the year model range for my car to know that I might find parts for my car, but I have to be quick because they get stripped rather quickly.

I forget now why, but a long time ago the fuel lines had to get rerouted under and through the car (part of their routing had them go inside the body). Some modification I was having made to the car required rerouting the fuel lines. Obviously the shop had to use something to hold the fuel lines in place, so I'd go ask them how they'd do it.

When cars get really old, you won't find anyone making them anymore. You have to salvage (and perhaps restore), fab yourself, or have someone else fab the part for you. When I can't find furniture that meets my requirements, there are a couple carpentry shops where I can have it made per my blueprints. Yeah, more costly but I get what I want and built how I want rather than sufficing with pre-made stuff.

A very long time ago, I think car makers were required to supply parts (that they made or via 3rd party) for 20 years. That changed and car makers aren't required to supply parts beyond the warranty period.

How many of these clamps does he need? $500 for just one clamp seems a huge cost. Likely it's just stamped metal. Is the voucher only good at the dealership (aka script that can only be used at the company store)? If it can be cashed, seems he could find a metal shop to fab the part for him for a lot less.

I had a '92 Legacy that I kept for 24 years. Yep, parts kept getting harder to find. I had to use the u-pull-r-parts salvage yard more than a few times. I've got an '02 Legacy that uses a mechanical cable linkage for the parking brake, and the shop already warned me there are no replacement parts for it, so if the cable breaks then it'll be a custom service to restring the cable. If brackets or other parts break, we'll have to figure out what we could borrow from some other model or brand, or I'm back to the u-pull-r-parts salvage yard again. Jerry rigging or custom work might be the only way to go. I don't like relying on the paw in the tranny to hold the car on a hill when parked, so I'm always using the parking brake on a hill.

Reply to
VanguardLH

wrecking yard, craigslist for someone 'parting-out' a wreck, WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds of the Forums (NASIOC and maybe ultimatesubaru.org)

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

replying to Wilson, BudGreen wrote: Wilson, were you able to find anything for your friend? I'm in the exact same boat. Need 42063SA000 and it's not available from any resource I can find. I've even called four Subaru specialty shops that do body off repairs and came up empty on that. Their concern isn't the line itself which cannot be recreated but can be replaced with non metal tubing but the connector that fits it to the tank is plastic and prone to break coming off or going back on so I can't get the work done by my dealer OR by three different local shops that do specialty work. I absolutely hate the idea of my 12 year old Pearl with only 107000 miles on it going to a junkyard over one part. I hope you found success and can connect me to you resource if you found it.

PEACE

Bud

Reply to
BudGreen

I looked on Ebay for the part number. That isn't listed. There are bunches of clamps for his buggy. A general description plus year/make/model might get what you need.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thanks Dean, my friend ended up having a mechanic make one up for him.

Reply to
Wilson