Looking at a 96 Cadillac Deville

So, there's this 96 Deville for sale, and it has 120,000 miles, and a few electrical problems. The Engine is practically inaudible and i couldn't even tell it was changing gears when i test drove it. my only concern is that the dealer said it would overheat if the ac (or the heat) wasn't on. He said the engine fan wouldn't turn on if the ac was off. Also, some of the gadgets, (the volume/channel controls) on the steering wheel wont work...the thing is though, comsmetically it's close to immaculate, and only $3500 tax,tag,title...how much is it going to cost to get this sort of thing fixed (and what exactly is wrong?). I would seriously appreciate any comments or answers. thanks, lawson

Reply to
Lawson

No one can tell you that in a group. It's sort of like saying "my car's making a "kapling" noise, what is it?". It's too variable. Someone could guess, but a guess could be right on, or very far off.

I suggest strongly having a mechanic look into it before buying it. Get an estimate, or maybe a couple.

Electrical, especially on new cars, can get pretty expensive, and sometimes can be rather elusive to fix.

I'd also wonder why such a "close to immaculate" car was only $3500. Perhaps the owners know the fix is very expensive, accounting for the cheap price. Something to consider.

~~R.Banks

Reply to
Robin Banks

The car may or may not be a good deal. The stereo controls on the wheel you can live without if necessary. The fans not kicking on may be just a relay or a temp sensor. Neither are big deals. Since the fan goes on with the AC you know the fan itself is good. You need to check for computer codes indicating other possible areas of concern. This can be done from the drivers seat. On the 96/97, push the OFF button and the top (warmer) end of the PASS rocker switch. You can do this with the engine running or with just the ignition switch in the "on" position but not started. Codes will start to appear on the dash display. Write them down. They come up pretty fast so repeat as necessary to get them all correctly. Then go here

scroll down to find what they mean.FWIW YMMV DFB

Reply to
MisterSkippy

You can get a 96 that with 50,000 miles for 6000 that has NO problems and is immaculate tho at many places.

Reply to
Han Nguyen