AC problem in a 96 Golf

My girlfriend's AC cut out one day all at once. Had an open clutch coil and

12v at the connector, so I replaced the compressor/clutch assembly, recharged, and now have nothing! Ac button light turns on, fuse is good, and engine idle flutters just a bit, but I get zippy voltage at the clutch. I'm a asian import guy and am on the wrong side of the planet with this thing. PLease help!!!
Reply to
qslim

If you have voltage across the clutch wires then the problem is in the AC clutch. That way you check the ground side too. Did you set the gap between the clutch plate?

Reply to
Woodchuck

The guys at VW assured me that the gap was already set, as I purchased an entire compressor/clutch assembly. However, after I installed it, there is now no voltage across the wires, whereas there was before. The fuse is good, the light comes on, and when the AC button is pressed the idle flutters just a bit, indicating to me that this car has some sort of idle kickup procedure, and the car thinks the compressor is turning..

Reply to
qslim

Have you tried to engage the clutch with 12 volts directly from tha battery? If the clutch works then maybe the overheat switch is bad. There is an A/C cutoff switch for overheating situations located on the coolant outlet at the driver's side end of the cylinder head. It has a two wire connector on it and is right next to the "regular" temp sensor which has a four wire connector. Check and make sure the overheat sensor is operating properly. And it just occurred to me that there's also a pressure switch that sometimes goes bad. I think it's on top of the receiver drier.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Thanks Bill, I'll try that tomorrow. Do you know by chance if the overheat switch normally has continuity or is it normally open?

Reply to
qslim

Thanks Bill. The clutch is good, yeah. I'll try troubleshooting those sensors tomorrow, thats a big help. By chance do you know if that overheat sensor is normally open or normally closed?

Reply to
qslim

Normally close, so just jumper the connector and see what happens. Also report back if you have voltage there when AC is turned on.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Man.... no it is not

I had the same problem. Look on the right side of the engine - there is a oolant temperature sensor on the top. There are two. The ONE is on the top size of a small cigarrette lighter. Go there see it? The one that is vertical. This shit costs $12.00 and this is what is causing the problem. The white yellowish one???

VW Secret or what?

Reply to
Adam

Bill, thanks again. Well, I jumped that little bastard harness and got nothing. And I replaced the sensor, but to no avail! I checked that connector, and did find system voltage when the AC is on. What do you make of it?

Reply to
qslim

So the a/c compressor clutch gets ground and power and still does not engage? Sounds like it is bad then!

dave

Looking at the wiring diagram here after the voltage comes out of that switch you jumped it goes into the fan control module. Doe this

1- check the fuses on the fan control module mounted by the coolant bottle 2- does the radiator fans run with the AC turned on?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Alrighty then... I checked the fuse by the coolant bottle, and guess what?? It was blown! So I replaced the 20A fuse, and the damn thing is still not turning. The clutch is good, the fuses are good, the overheat switch is good, and the fans run when the ac button is on. What else?? The pressure switch maybe??

Reply to
qslim

You mentioned " zippy voltage" what do you mean by this ?, the clutch drive current starts at the AC switch on the dash, goes through a thermostat,low pressure switch and ends up at the clutch.

Reply to
Thys

What I mean is there is no voltage @ the clutch connector. No voltage getting to the clutch. I replaced the overheat switch, the little two pin sensor off the water pipe on the left side of the head. So you're saying voltage starts @ the inside switch, goes through the overheat switch, through the pressure switch on the side of the dessicant canister, and too the clutch?

Reply to
qslim

Sounds like that would be the next place to check. If there is no problem there then you're getting to the point that you really need a wiring diagram.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin