NO AC

I have an 88 cadillac deville, 4.5L. Tried converting the R-12 to R-134a. I got some freon into the system, however it is not cooling down significantly. I have the same problem for a 91 Honda CRX. I did the following for both cars. While car was running evacuated what remained of the R-12, within a few seconds. Then reversed the procedure and recharged the system, with the ac running on high. For some unknown reason it only takes less than 12oz [5psi]? Any suggestions will be helpful. Why will it not take anymore or get colder.

Reply to
LostInEwing

wrote

In order to do this right, one needs a vacuum pump, to completely evacuate the system before putting in new coolant. That definitely takes more than a few seconds. I'm not sure but I think that is done with the A/C (and engine) OFF.

Now for the really bad news. Unless you change the compressor (and maybe some other components.....don't remember), the R134 probably will not cool sufficiently in low speed operation, i.e. stop & go driving around town, even if you do the procedure correctly and get enough coolant in the system.

I had that done to a pickup truck. They warned me up front about the drawback and damned if they weren't right!

Reply to
Ken Abrams