AC Compressor 92 244

Can an AC compressor (92 244 with R34) be very noisy just due to insufficient charge? The system blows cold, but the compressor does overcycle. It is alledgedly only 3 years old and installed with the R34 upgrade by previous owner.

Or, is it as I suspect, toast -- a victum of infant mortality.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Afraid not (the noise from being low, that is) - but I'm not expert enough to say you should replace your compressor. The noise and overcycling could be overcharge, though, probably from the beginning. With R-12 I was able to charge with guages, with sight glass or by ear (fill it 'til the compressor cycling barely stops.) I tried that with my son's R-134a system, in spite of the experts saying it has to be done by weight with the expensive machine. The experts were right (duh!) I went right past the proper charge point and got about 40% too much 134a in it. The compressor rattled and cycled off every few seconds. A pro evacuated it and recharged it for $76 US and it works perfectly.

Getting a recommendation from friends and taking it to a shop that has the machine is your best bet at this point.

Reply to
Michael Pardee