98 camaro front brake rotor question

I have another stupid question, about my 98 camaro front brake rotors.

I seem to have to have these rotors turned about every 10K miles because they warp ( brake pedal pulses).

Am I using the wrong torque when I tighten the lug nuts?

thanks again, mike s

Reply to
mikes

On 2 Feb 2004 20:28:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (mikes) puked:

Evidently that's a pretty common problem. I had this issue myself.

lab~rat

The problem you are experiencing is caused by heat. I suggest that you get aftermarket rotors and some new brake pads. What happens is when you don't warm up your brakes and you do some hard braking the rotors will begin to warp. Take it easy on the brakes and break in the rotors,if you get aftermarket rotors. I suggest Baer Braking system if you want some nice performance brakes. There is nothing wrong with stock rotors but I suggest replacement.

Reply to
Blazergirl

aftermarket rotors and some new brake pads. What happens is when you don't warm up your brakes and you do some hard braking the rotors will begin to warp. Take it easy on the brakes and break in the rotors,if you get aftermarket rotors. I suggest Baer Braking system if you want some nice performance brakes. There is nothing wrong with stock rotors but I suggest replacement.

GM durastop pads and the $25 rotors from autozone. When they warp take them back for warrenty replacement. When they won't replace them any more buy a new set. Cheaper the getting them turned all the time. Use them on my 99 for track days and the above combo works just fine. In fact it was a show room stock class racer that told me that little trick. And DO NOT run ducts to the the brakes. Cools them off to fast and makes the warping worse. Same with puddles. Avoid them like the plague whre your brakes are hot.

Reply to
Jerry Hooten

My 96 Z28 is on it's 4th or 5th set of rotors now. I've been told that until I get into Brembos or other really expensive discs, I will suffer because it is still a heavy car, and let's face it: we didn't buy Camaros for the fuel economy.

I pop on a new set of rotors whenever the last ones get annoying. I buy the $35 buck a piece variety so they can be thrown out easily. New low end rotors work better than old warped high end rotors.

On to the other question. The torque spec for your lug nuts is 100 ft lbs. This is not the same as 100 clicks on the apprentice mechanics impact wrench.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Ingall