Borg Warner 4 speed -- need opinions

I own a 68 Camaro 350 SB, with a TH350 (same one I've asked for advice on this newsgroup before), w/console and floor shifter, and I'm considering converting to a 4 speed. A guy I know offered to sell me a Borg Warner tranny, complete with bellhousing, clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel, and linkage for unde $1,000.

Should I consider going with this setup, or would I be happier with a Muncie transmission? (I've owned a Camaro with a Muncie in the past, but never a Borg Warner).

Thanks everyone for your opinions--

Terry M.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (delete the NOSPAM, of course)

Reply to
Terry

Is it a T-10 or a Super T-10? Do you know what it came out of? That will help a bit figuring out what the 1st gear ratio is, they go as low as 2.42 and up to the 3.0xs IIRC. Do you know where you can find a crossmember? I don't know 1st gens all that well but I'd bet you would need one. Also, IIRC, the ST-10 uses a TH400 yoke so you'd need to take care of the driveshaft in addition to making sure the length is correct.

$1000 for everything is a pretty good deal as long as you get all of the clutch linkage and pedals with it.

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

I just asked the owner of this tranny setup, he said it is a T-10, not a super T-10, and he thinks it came out of a Corvette. Would this be a good setup for my Camaro?

Thanks everyone for your input, Terry M.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (delete NOSPAM, of course)

Reply to
Terry

Hi Terry:

You'll still need the the first generation pedals, equalizer bar to frame bracket and maybe the equalizer bar too. (I'm not sure on that one)

The trans would have to be circa 74 or newer and will have the fine spline input shaft. The rear motor mount (trans mount) should be in the same location.

The pivot ball in the bell housing might have to be changed for a shorter or longer one too. Make sure you chech the clearance before you install the trans. Also, the shifter is in the same place, because of the short tail, but the shifter might be different, Don't buy a Hurst Super Shifter, or worse yet. A Hurst or Mr Gasket Vertical Gate/Ratchet shifter.

Otherwise goodbye stock floor and console.

I did plenty of change overs when the cars were plenty.

I hope this helps?

Reply to
Refinish King

To tell the truth, I'd pass on the T-10. Also, look at what Refinish King had to say as far as install, setup and consoles. If you were getting the whole deal for $300, I might recommend it. But you will spend some money get everything to work right. If it was my car, here's what I would do:

After you get over the sticker shock, look at what you are getting. A fairly strong overdrive tranny with all the parts to make it work right the first time. I deal in a lot of 4 speeds and those cases and gearsets are getting older everyday. In addition, the OD gives you the best of both worlds, power through the gears but economy on the interstates. I'm tire of cruising at over 3000 rpm to stay up with the Hondas in the right lane.

Compare the T-10 project with a 5 speed and see if the cost difference is worth it to you. I guarantee I'll be upgrading the T/A and the vette in the future because I like to drive my cars.

Good luck with your project,

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

Thanks for the info, this all good advice-- Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

Reply to