Is older Camaro (late 60s, early 70s) easier to maintain than current cars?

Are older cars (like the 1968-1970 Camaros, or the older Mustangs) easier to maintain since they didn't have as much electrical stuff as cars do now? Since they're American, are the parts also cheaper? I just love the look of those older cars but , due to my limited budget, I'll also be using it as my everyday car. I currently have an '89 Volvo (not exactly a 'cool' car) and I've noticed that, since they're older, they seem easier to fix than these new cars that seem to be more complicated. Is this one of those cars that any mechanic can maintain (not someone specialized)? More importantly, is it expensive to add A/C ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:21:31 -0400, "Joe" puked:

They may be easier to access and fix, but you generally have to do more accessing and fixing.

lab~rat

I would say that the repairs are easier to access rather than easier to repair. A late model car with some sort of fuel injection will usually tell you what to look at when something goes bad. A simple thing like changing the plugs in my 68' takes about 20 minutes or so because of the relatively open engine compartment and all plugs can be reached from the top. On my 88' Formula one side is reached from the top and the other is from the bottom, the easiest I've found so far at least. Parts do seem to be cheaper on older cars though, unless it is a part that is specific to that car.

Right now I'm replacing the intake gaskets on the 88' (TPI), and it is a truly trying experience. It's quite a bit more complicated than pulling the distributor, removing a couple of hoses, a fuel line, and taking out 8 bolts as is the assembly on my 68'. You have to pull the throttle body, fuel lines, coolant hoses, electrical jacks, vacuum hoses, plenum, runners, fuel rails, distributor, ignition coil, etc. etc. All before you can remove the intake.

Try finding a model that already has the a/c installed. It'll be much cheaper in the long run. Putting in an a/c system with factory parts is expensive. There are companies that sell complete bolt in systems to convert non a/c cars that are reasonably priced.

Good luck with your decision.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to