My car smokes from the exhaust

My car smokes from the exhaust...smells like oil...When i bought the car i noticed it used oil a little faster than normal.I've been told that it needs a new head gasket set or whatever but i'm hoping it's something simpler..If u have any idea what it might be then write me back.

Reply to
Takeyah20

It sounds like the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber. How does it idle? I believe if your head gasket was blown it could leak coolant and could also affect the quality of the idle but I don't think it would cause your engine to burn oil. Can anyone out there confirm this?

If your rings are leaking, that's actually a more involved repair than replacing a head gasket.

noticed it used oil a little faster than normal.I've been told that it needs a new head gasket set or whatever but i'm hoping it's something simpler..If u have any idea what it might be then write me back.

Reply to
David R. McCoy

simpler..If

Reply to
Steve's "68" Camaro

Does it only smoke at start up, and then clear up? If so it is your valve seals. If it smokes all the time it could be the rings, which the before mentioned compression check could determine. But if that even checks out I'd look into an intakleak that could be pulling oil out of the lifter valley from underneath.

noticed it used oil a little faster than normal.I've been told that it needs a new head gasket set or whatever but i'm hoping it's something simpler..If u have any idea what it might be then write me back.

Reply to
Bralgar