1988 Silverado

hmm i put in 15 gallons recently and it moved more then last time but i still am thinking that it needs fixing

Reply to
William C.

William C.

keep it in od unless you'll be doing extended driving between 35 and 40 MPH. this will prevent the trans from going 3-4-lockup over and over and over.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

there is this noise that the bed is makeing when i drive it and i don't know where it is comeing from i think it is the bed welds on the corners are busted making it uhh hmm i don't how to explain it you know how if you look at the bed as a box from above? let's say that box a square? is trying to turn into a diamond? that's what i think is wrong MAYBE anyone know of something else that what make it sound like it is hitting the cab but it's not?

Reply to
William C.

Bed mounts shot, cab mounts shot, the list goes on.......................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

i asked the dealer when i was inquireing if that fuel pump stuff i heard was true and he said no not i never heard of it not i don't think so he said no every told me he was lieing cause he was just trying to sell me something well i didn't buy this truck from him but the fuel pump is giving me trouble so shows he was lieing i guess yeah hey unrelated question with the gass tank where it is how do you put dual exhaust on this truck? i had a 81 with the tanks on the outside of the frame rail i thought

Reply to
William C.

I have my duals running on the passenger side of the vehicle and they split off just before the rear axle.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

you still have the Y pipe on?

Reply to
William C.

I've run it both ways, currently true duals.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
William C.

you can't... emmisions label will tell you the idle is "set at the factory and not adjustable"

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

excuse my french but that's bullshit, see my bigger problem is the injectors must not be clean cause the motor won't stay at idle it like speeds up then slows down and sometimes it will die after i shift into drive after being in reverse or the other way around

Reply to
William C.

adjusting the speed wont really fix anything. You could get it to stop dieing but it will also idle too fast at times and still be eratic. You would just be fighting the real problem and not fixing it.

Reply to
Scott M

chief.... the idle is controlled by the Idle Air Controller which is controlled by the ECU. unless you start drilling out the IAC orifice or filing the pintle on the IAC itself, you're not going to be able the adjust the idle. if your idle is jumpoing up and down, 99% chance your EGR valve is leaking. this will make the engine want to stall and the ECU opens up the IAC to keep it from stalling. buy a new EGR valve and all will be well.

-Bret (who just happens to have a '88 K2500)

Reply to
Bret Chase

You're forgetting the obvious when dealing with surging idle. Vacuum leak. He needs to check all his vacuum hoses + intake gasket.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Scott M

is the set up for 700R's like this: P R N oD D 2 1?

thats how it was on my burban and it went out every year i was wondering if driving it in oD was the problem?

Reply to
William C.

My thoughts exactly.......................anyone have a can of carb cleaner?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

the 7 position quadrant is the same for all 4 speed autos... the shift pattern was set by the Fed. gov't back in the early days of auto trans to keep people from killing themselves. just imagine getting used to a vehicle that was R-P-N-1-2-3-4 then trying to go to a P-R-N-4-3-2-1.

your trans failed yearly? good lord... you could probably attribute some of the failure to the 3-4-lockup hunt at around 35... but I'd say driving style is a big factor too.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to